Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there anything I could use the Thunderbolt 2 ports for, such as another USB powered hub?

Hi I am trying to connect multiple usb devices to my mid 2015 MacBook pro. Each of the only 2 ports has a powered usb hub connected to it. However my iPhone 6s will only charge and communicate with the laptop if plugged in directly.

I there anything else I can do to increase the usb ports and still leave one free for the iPhone etc., other than dismounting a hard drive on one hub to free up the port?

Is there anything I could use the thunderbolt 2 ports for such as another usb powered hub or is it for something I obviously don't understand ?

I currently have 4 external hard drives because I am paranoid about backing up.

Is there a limit on the number of devices one can have connected at any one time?

Thanks so much if you can help.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 1:40 PM

How many USB devices you can use at one time depends on how much power each device uses. If you have too many devices requiring power you will need to use a powered USB3 hub. Make sure your hub supports the UASP protocol if you have multiple hard drives connected.

Edit: Some USB hubs provide a dedicated USB power port (no data access) for charging your accessories. Try to get one with a port supporting 2A charging if you have a choice.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2020 1:40 PM in response to bruf

How many USB devices you can use at one time depends on how much power each device uses. If you have too many devices requiring power you will need to use a powered USB3 hub. Make sure your hub supports the UASP protocol if you have multiple hard drives connected.

Edit: Some USB hubs provide a dedicated USB power port (no data access) for charging your accessories. Try to get one with a port supporting 2A charging if you have a choice.

Apr 25, 2020 6:33 AM in response to HWTech

Dear HWTech, thank you very much for your reply. As you don't mention the Thunderbolt 2 ports I assume they are useless in terms of connecting with usb hubs or whatever. In fact, just useless ?

The two hubs I have connected at the moment are powered hubs - I'm sorry I don't know about the UASP protocol.

If I can't use the Thunderbolt ports can I plug another powered hub into one of the hubs I already have? Or is that likely to start technical gang warfare ?

By the way the iPhone won't even charge if plugged into a hub let alone communicate with the laptop.

I'm sorry to be a nuisance but as you can guess my tech knowledge is limited. Thank you.

Apr 25, 2020 10:54 AM in response to bruf

I am not aware of any Thunderbolt 2 devices which provide USB support since it would require a converter. Check OWC as they provide lots of devices for Apple products. You can contact OWC support to see if they can assist you. Other contributors are likely more knowledgable with Thunderbolt 2 devices and accessories that are available so if such a device exists then one of them will let you know.

I've never linked multiple powered USB hubs before, but it should be Ok as long as all of them including your laptop are plugged into the same electrical circuit (use a surge strip).

I usually just use a dedicated power adapter or the dedicated charging port on a hub to power or charge an iPhone. Due to the way the iDevices charge some hubs and adapters may not work to charge an iDevice. Plus some iDevices require a lot of power to use & charge at the same time (2A).

Is there anything I could use the Thunderbolt 2 ports for, such as another USB powered hub?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.