Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant stuck on "Preparing to transfer"

Hi!

I am transferring from a Time Machine Backup and migration assistant has been stuck in "preparing to transfer user documents" for a few hours. I've tried to do it from the initial setup screen when I got the "new" mac (had to have it repaired), and then gave up, setup the mac fresh, and then setup using migration assistant. It has been stuck for awhile now. What's a usual amount of time?

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 11:29 AM

There is no usual amount of time. The time depends upon how much data are being copied, how fast the drives are, and how fast the computer is. But what you reported suggests the transfer is not working. You may wish to start by stopping the migration, running First Aid on the Time Machine backup drive, and checking the settings you are using in Migration Assistant.

How to Use Migration Assistant with macOS Catalina

Setting up a new (or repurposed) Mac- 2 Migration Assistant

Setting up a new (or repurposed) Mac- 3 Manual migration

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2020 11:29 AM in response to Utah Gal

There is no usual amount of time. The time depends upon how much data are being copied, how fast the drives are, and how fast the computer is. But what you reported suggests the transfer is not working. You may wish to start by stopping the migration, running First Aid on the Time Machine backup drive, and checking the settings you are using in Migration Assistant.

How to Use Migration Assistant with macOS Catalina

Setting up a new (or repurposed) Mac- 2 Migration Assistant

Setting up a new (or repurposed) Mac- 3 Manual migration

Migration Assistant stuck on "Preparing to transfer"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.