Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

JBL Flip 5 + MacBook Pro

My new JBL Flip 5 speaker crackles and cuts in and out when connected to my MBP. It works fine with my phone but not the computer. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 2:53 PM

JPower70 Said:

"JBL Flip 5 + MacBook Pro: My new JBL Flip 5 speaker crackles and cuts in and out when connected to my MBP. It works fine with my phone but not the computer. Any ideas?"

-------

Reset the Core Audio:

Using Terminal, reset the core audio, seeing if that makes all the difference.

1. Go To: Utilities

2. Open: Terminal

3. Type: this command:

sudo killall coreaudiod

4. Press: Return

5. Type: Admin Password

6. Press: Return

-------

Also, Contact the Manufacturer about compatibility.

Use Chat:

1. Go Here: JBL FLIP 5 | Portable Waterproof Speaker - JBL.com
  2. Click On: the Exclamation Button to Begin a Chat with JBL:

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2020 2:53 PM in response to JPower70

JPower70 Said:

"JBL Flip 5 + MacBook Pro: My new JBL Flip 5 speaker crackles and cuts in and out when connected to my MBP. It works fine with my phone but not the computer. Any ideas?"

-------

Reset the Core Audio:

Using Terminal, reset the core audio, seeing if that makes all the difference.

1. Go To: Utilities

2. Open: Terminal

3. Type: this command:

sudo killall coreaudiod

4. Press: Return

5. Type: Admin Password

6. Press: Return

-------

Also, Contact the Manufacturer about compatibility.

Use Chat:

1. Go Here: JBL FLIP 5 | Portable Waterproof Speaker - JBL.com
  2. Click On: the Exclamation Button to Begin a Chat with JBL:

Apr 23, 2020 12:17 PM in response to JPower70

With it being a 2014 it's possible that your bluetooth module is too outdated for today's wireless products, especially when dealing with 3rd party products. Well you can still try to connect the speaker using standard USB-A to USB-A cable. I'm recommending to try this just to be sure it's a not an issue with the speakers being compatible with MacOS. If the speaker works fine connected directly then the bluetooth module is outdated.

BTW, which OS are you running?

Apr 23, 2020 12:44 PM in response to JPower70

Sadly Bluetooth modules have a limited life span. That's why Apple keeps putting in updated ones in each new Mac released. They'll tend to work fine with older bluetooth-enabled products but new products are generally compatible with the latest Bluetooth technologies. It really depends on the manufacturer. For example I have a 2011 iMac and my AirPods work perfectly with it, but perhaps because their both Apple products.

JBL Flip 5 + MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.