Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selecting multiple items on the desktop with one click

I used to be able to select multiple items on my desktop with one click by highlighting the first item, then holding down the shift key and highlighting the last item. All items in between would then be highlighted. That doesn't work anymore. Now, no matter what key I try (including the Shift key) I have to click on each individual item to highlight it. Has something changed? I'm using a MacBook Air (2012) running Mojave v.10.14.6. Thank you!

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 1:25 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 23, 2020 2:36 PM in response to drlivingstone

It was gone in El Capitan (10.11.6) as I just checked. I have nothing earlier to test.

Now, you can press the shift key, select the first icon in a row, and then continue to press the right-arrow key to select a single row of icons. Then a single down-arrow will select the entire next row of icons. The other alternative is to just drag around the icons you wish to select, and if needed, press the shift-key to add more icons to the initial selection.

Selecting multiple items on the desktop with one click

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.