Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot use Shift Click to select a range of items on MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 2021.

My MacBook is a Pro 14" M1 Pro 2021 running MacOS Ventura 13.0.1. On previous Macs, I have been able to select multiple, adjacent files in a list using Shift Click in Finder. This does not work on this new machine. I am still able to select multiple files, one at a time, using Command Click. But Shift Click works exactly as Command Click, and selects only a single item at a time. I am using the internal keyboard and trackpad. I can find no settings that would prevent Shift Click from behaving as it did on previous Macs. The Help database on this machine tells me that Shift Click will work as it always has. But it doesn't. Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2022 1:38 PM

Hi there WyMRoberts,

We'd like to help rule out some possible causes, along with confirming more details to better understand the issue:

1. You mentioned that Shift Click works exactly like Command Click now, but when did this first start, or has it never worked as intended since first using your newer Mac?
  2. Sometimes unexpected behavior can be resolved with a restart. Check out the section 'Restart' here: Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac
  3. You mentioned using macOS 13.0.1, but the the latest version is macOS 13.1. You can verify this by clicking on the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen, then on ‘About This Mac’. In case you needed it, this link shows how to first back up, then Update macOS on Mac.

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2022 1:38 PM in response to WyMRoberts

Hi there WyMRoberts,

We'd like to help rule out some possible causes, along with confirming more details to better understand the issue:

1. You mentioned that Shift Click works exactly like Command Click now, but when did this first start, or has it never worked as intended since first using your newer Mac?
  2. Sometimes unexpected behavior can be resolved with a restart. Check out the section 'Restart' here: Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac
  3. You mentioned using macOS 13.0.1, but the the latest version is macOS 13.1. You can verify this by clicking on the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen, then on ‘About This Mac’. In case you needed it, this link shows how to first back up, then Update macOS on Mac.

Cheers!

Dec 18, 2022 11:24 AM in response to bruno75

Thank you.

1. The Shift Click misbehaved from the very beginning. I bought the laptop new just a couple weeks ago.

2. It still behaved incorrectly after a few shutdowns. I shut it down each night and whenever it will be idle for an extended time. However, after last night's shutdown, Shift Click works as expected! I had not made any other changes, but it is now working OK.

3. Although I had Automatic Updates turned on, it had not yet detected the new OS version. I just now manually updated MacOS to 13.1. Thanks for the heads-up on the availability of the new version.

I cannot figure out what fixed the problem, but for now I'll just be happy that it works properly. Thank you for your help.

I cannot use Shift Click to select a range of items on MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 2021.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.