Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any conflicts when creating two User accounts (with different privileges) using the same Apple ID?

I've set up iMac A with an Admin User account {501}, a User account {512}, and also three "sharing only" accounts {502, 503, 504} for networking with iMac B.

I've set up iMac B with an Admin User account {501} and three User accounts {502, 503, 504}.

The Admin {501} AND User {512} account on iMac A; the Admin {501} account on iMac B all use the same Apple ID.

On iMac A User account {512} in "Users&Groups Preferences" > "Advanced Options" the AppleID Alias for that Apple ID will not populate the "Aliases" field. AppleID aliases start with `com.apple.idms.appleid.prd.`. Yet, both iMac A and iMac B Admin accounts {501} have the same AppleID Alias.

I have tried to add that same AppleID Alias to my User account {512} on iMac A (since it uses the same AppleID as the Admin account), but it's rejected. It seems the AppleID alias is a device specific ID. If I remove it from one user and add it to the other it accepts it, but it can't be used for more than one user on one machine even if both accounts use the same AppleID.

With that background information... the question: Maybe there is an incompatibility or limitation having two user accounts on the same machine using the same AppleID? Specifically when it comes to networking. I believe the AppleID Alias allows a user to select "Connect Using AppleID" when networking.

Also, can anyone who has used their AppleID on two computers confirm that their AppleID Alias is the same?

Since I am in my User account 99% of the time it's been convenient to keep some information synced with my Admin account using iCloud — email, messages, notes, etc are all synced. Is there any reason it would be more appropriate to use separate Apple IDs for my Admin and User accounts??

I don't install software or work in my admin account as a security measure.

Please refrain from telling me, "Don't make changes to those settings". I am looking for responses that answer my questions. Thank you.

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 3:16 PM

As promised I am adding what I have learned directly from Apple to the end of this conversation.

I contacted an Apple Senior Advisor, but he only passed on superstition... We don't recommend it, no documentation exists, we don't know what issues there may or may not be, etc.

"There wouldn’t be any actual documentation. Essentially, they’re two different accounts so they have their own settings, etc. Therefor it can use whichever Apple ID you wish to for the App Store, iTunes Store, etc."

"So yes, we would just ultimately suggest that you make use of different Apple ID accounts. Although you can attempt at using the same Apple ID, we are just unable to guarantee that everything will work properly."

"Absolutely, yes. For the use of iCloud it will allow the syncing of data simple. That I can get behind."

"I see all the concept behind wanting to use the same Apple ID though."

After one hour of chatting this is what I determined:

1. macOS allows this:
    1. You can create two user accounts with the same Apple ID as long as they don't have the same privileges, i.e. User/Admin but not Admin/Admin or User/User.
  2. Apple has no idea if allowing this is detrimental or not to the user's environment.
  3. Apple has not researched or documented this scenario which they explicitly allow.

As suggested, I am now off to write up a note for the black hole that is the Apple Feedback group.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2020 3:16 PM in response to johnnyjackhammer

As promised I am adding what I have learned directly from Apple to the end of this conversation.

I contacted an Apple Senior Advisor, but he only passed on superstition... We don't recommend it, no documentation exists, we don't know what issues there may or may not be, etc.

"There wouldn’t be any actual documentation. Essentially, they’re two different accounts so they have their own settings, etc. Therefor it can use whichever Apple ID you wish to for the App Store, iTunes Store, etc."

"So yes, we would just ultimately suggest that you make use of different Apple ID accounts. Although you can attempt at using the same Apple ID, we are just unable to guarantee that everything will work properly."

"Absolutely, yes. For the use of iCloud it will allow the syncing of data simple. That I can get behind."

"I see all the concept behind wanting to use the same Apple ID though."

After one hour of chatting this is what I determined:

1. macOS allows this:
    1. You can create two user accounts with the same Apple ID as long as they don't have the same privileges, i.e. User/Admin but not Admin/Admin or User/User.
  2. Apple has no idea if allowing this is detrimental or not to the user's environment.
  3. Apple has not researched or documented this scenario which they explicitly allow.

As suggested, I am now off to write up a note for the black hole that is the Apple Feedback group.

Apr 25, 2020 6:30 PM in response to MrHoffman

@MrHoffman, Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Though, I don't really understand your response, Local Storage, NAS, I appreciate your sincere attempt to help.

I am simply asking if anyone has tried, and had any trouble with, setting up one Macintosh with two user accounts that use the same Apple ID? One being an Administrative account; the other being a User account.

I do it this way because I don't have to worry about sharing certain info between different AppleIDs. I can use the syncing feature of iCloud to keep Notes, Messages, etc the same in both accounts on my iMac/s without taking the time to share individual Notes or forward Messages. The area I am thinking there could be an issue is connecting to a server using "Connect As: Using an Apple ID" But I am not sure. If there is any evidence that this would cause an issue here then... I would have my answer.

Naturally I am asking in the forums first. This is what these forums are for. In any case, it certainly doesn't hurt to have this question asked and answered where others might find the discussion useful. I don't see the answer to my question anywhere and can't find the idea explicitly ruled out by Apple.

If there were an issue doing this I would think the OS would give a warning when signing into iCloud on the 2nd account. Something like, "This Apple ID is already in use on this machine!"

I didn't intend to insinuate there is a bug or a feature just looking for evidence one way or the other. Honestly, I am surprised there aren't others who have their Users&Groups set up this way.

If you could take the time to check whether your "com.apple.idms.appleid.prd.xxxx." id is the same on your Macs where you are signed in with the same Apple ID that would be helpful.

I should clarify that I have absolutely no issues with iCloud sharing for these two accounts. It was local networking that I was asking about.

Apr 23, 2020 6:40 PM in response to LACAllen

The "restriction" was added to prevent people posting comments that don't answer the question and are condescending. I anticipated it because I see it so often in the Apple Community forum and therefore the request.

Try posting comments like yours on Stack Exchange and see if you every make it to "Level 7".

I don't have the answer. I have some clues.

Apr 23, 2020 7:11 PM in response to johnnyjackhammer

Pragmatically, I suspect you’ll want to discuss what you’re trying to do here directly with the folks at Apple.

Whether Apple considers this a bug, or a semi- or undocumented iCloud limitation, or a feature, is up to the folks at Apple.

Why? You do seem to have addressed your own question, though seemingly don’t prefer the answer you’ve found—that sharing iCloud Desktop and Files files from two separate macOS logins doesn’t work.

As for the local storage, local NAS storage would be an alternative (locally) to iCloud. Apple has been moving away from Network Home Directories and Portable Home Directories solutions for a while now, and these would have been the closest alternatives to what you seem to want to achieve here.

Having two logins in parallel here both trying to maintain synchronization just makes my head hurt—if they’re both logged in, both get the mail, and now both have to resolve that. (And I know how to cluster data synchronously, and to skulk data asynchronously. It gets gnarly.)

But you’re seemingly asking whether Apple considers this a bug or a feature, so... ask Apple.

Apr 26, 2020 10:15 AM in response to johnnyjackhammer

Log feedback with Apple, or contact Apple Support, and discuss this.

A NAS device provides shared storage on your local network. Which is in various ways a simpler approach—with one copy of the data, shared, with no need for distributed file synchronization across multiple logins and multiple Macs—for what you are seeking to use iCloud Desktop for.

Apr 26, 2020 4:58 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks. When I can prepare myself and have an hour to kill I will call, and wade through the process of convincing the first agent that I need a "level 2 " agent (they really don't like to give up or admit they can't help)

I think we are talking at cross purposes here. I was simply talking about data stored in iCloud for Messages and Notes, etc., not local files, being the reason I like to have the two accounts with the same Apple ID. The potential networking issue is separate from this.

I will add any information I receive from Apple to this thread.

Any conflicts when creating two User accounts (with different privileges) using the same Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.