Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I accidentally deleted the internal Macintosh HD in utility panel

So I'd like to preface first that I feel like such an idiot.. I went into utility panel to erase and reformat a thumb drive and when I went to click erase, I didn't double check that I clicked the thumb drive and since it was automatically on the Macintosh HD it erased, however, right below it there is an internal drive named Macintosh HD - Data and it's 141.86gb/500gb so I'm a little confused.

Furthermore, I am currently using the computer still as if nothing has changed. All programs, files and data still retrievable.

if anyone knows how to help me further I'd greatly appreciate it! (I'm on a MacBook Pro 2015)

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 8:05 PM

You don't have a problem. Disk Utility will not erase the current startup drive. You could only erase the logical volume if you were using Disk Utility from the Recovery HD. You would not likely boot from the Recovery HD just to erase a USB disk.

If the computer is working, then nothing happened. Furthermore, you still have the two volumes created by an APFS formatted drive under Catalina.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2020 8:05 PM in response to ihbrave

You don't have a problem. Disk Utility will not erase the current startup drive. You could only erase the logical volume if you were using Disk Utility from the Recovery HD. You would not likely boot from the Recovery HD just to erase a USB disk.

If the computer is working, then nothing happened. Furthermore, you still have the two volumes created by an APFS formatted drive under Catalina.

I accidentally deleted the internal Macintosh HD in utility panel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.