Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Upgrade from Yosemite to Catalina.

My specs: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014) - Yosemite 10.10.5

Formatted my entire hard disk - now have 100 GB of storage.

Downloaded Catalina from the App store. Ran the application. Upon installing I was prompted to restart my pc. However there was NO CHANGE. Restarted many times but my OS is still on Yosemite

Went on Apple community and someone had shared a link to a Combo pack. Downloaded that but it won't launch the application.

Need help

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.10

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 1:39 PM

It is possible to upgrade to Catalina from Yosemite.

Read Section 1 of this, an official Apple article,

How to upgrade to macOS Catalina – Apple Support

it clearly states that the minimum OS needed to upgrade to Catalina is,

Mac OS X Mavericks, Mavericks preceded Yosemite.

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 24, 2020 6:22 AM in response to ammarhab

The advice about the Combo was wrong you can only install any Catalina Combo update if you have already installed a

previous version of Catalina.

I take it you downloaded Catalina recently, therefore the version of Catalina that would be installed would give you the latest version which is 10.15.4. If you were running an older version of Catalina and install the Combo it would take you to 10.15.4.

So no need for the Combo at all.

Can you boot to your Recovery HD, restart your mac and press and hold down the Command and R keys, the mac will boot to your Recovery HD, you should see a Utilities panel and click on Disk Utility, press continue and run Disk Utility> First Aid on your Macintosh HD. If you get any errors run again until you get the green tick.

Restart normally to boot back in 'normal' mode and try the install again.

If you can connect your mac to your router via cable rather than rely on Wifi, just in case the mac is calling home.

If there are still problems try installing Catalina in Safe Mode.

How to use safe mode on your Mac – Apple Support

Apr 24, 2020 1:31 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks will look into that. Just before reinstalling Catalina (which took me over 2 hours to do) I had a chat with the Apple support team via chat ( FYI - they weren't able to sort my problem out and the chat got disconnected after an hour).

However, the rep said it's not possible to upgrade from Yosemite to Catalina and I would need to first upgrade to High Siera.

Do you know anything about this?

Can't Upgrade from Yosemite to Catalina.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.