Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 15'' 2016 / LG 4K Monitor (Previous model) / Bootcamp issues

Hey. Anyone facing issues with this monitor on Bootcamp?

When connecting it via the provided Thunderbolt cable, the monitor comes up, and Windows throws an error about an unrecognized USB and it immediately goes dark.

I have updated the bootcamp drivers via Apple updater and also installed the official AMD drivers from the website without much luck. The only change is that the monitor will start (sometimes) after 2-3 minutes of going dark, but in many occasions Windows panics crashes completely with the awesome blue screen.

The monitor works perfectly with MacOS (have been using it for a year now without issues). And this problem seems to be specific to the MBP2016 as it works as expected with my MBP 13'' 2018.

I have also installed some custom AMD drivers from bootcampdrivers.com, but no change.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 8:42 AM

Hey, I managed to solve the issue. While looking at USB power management stuff and tinkering a bit.

It seems it’s something related to the USB power Mgmgt settings conflicting with the LG hub or display, so I did as follow to disable them.

• Go to device Manager in Windows
  • Righr-Click > Disable. On the Unrecognized USB device.
  • Goto Control Panel > Power Options
  • Click “Change Plan Settings”
  • click “Change advanced power settings“
  • Look for USB settings, click on +
  • Look for USB Selective suspend
  • Change both entries to “Disable”

You will still get the “Unrecognized Device” when hot-plugging the display, but it will work as expected. No crashes or lockups.

Enjoy!

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2020 8:42 AM in response to Loner T

Hey, I managed to solve the issue. While looking at USB power management stuff and tinkering a bit.

It seems it’s something related to the USB power Mgmgt settings conflicting with the LG hub or display, so I did as follow to disable them.

• Go to device Manager in Windows
  • Righr-Click > Disable. On the Unrecognized USB device.
  • Goto Control Panel > Power Options
  • Click “Change Plan Settings”
  • click “Change advanced power settings“
  • Look for USB settings, click on +
  • Look for USB Selective suspend
  • Change both entries to “Disable”

You will still get the “Unrecognized Device” when hot-plugging the display, but it will work as expected. No crashes or lockups.

Enjoy!

Apr 24, 2020 9:34 PM in response to Loner T

Tried the following:

• Hot Plugging in Windows

Comes up, shows "USB Error unrecognized" error, goes dark after, sometimes comes back after 2m, sometimes comes back after windows crashes on blue screen.

• Windows clean install Boot/Restart with monitor plugged in.

Comes up, I'm able to login 50% of the time then goes dark, never comes back up, Windows Crashes or Freezes until disconnected.

• Installed Windows with monitor plugged in

Comes up after install first reboot same stuff as above

No problems at all in MacOS, and no peripherals connected. (Initially had a Mouse/Keboard, but unplugged everything)

Pretty much what this dude describes

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7834784

Apr 25, 2020 9:40 AM in response to Loner T

I did check their forums and Downloaded their latest bootcamp drivers. Going to see if there are any drivers available for Thunderbolt from Intel.

I also tried with a normal Display, via HDMI multi port adapter and it works fine.

Display seems to work ok in other 15” Macs and so far the issue its present in 2016 MBP models with 4K and 5K Lg monitors from what I can find online.

MBP 15'' 2016 / LG 4K Monitor (Previous model) / Bootcamp issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.