Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4K USB C monitor worked one day and stopped working the next. Works in other OS.

Hi

I use a USB C 4K monitor(https://cforcedesign.com/products/cf015c-4k-ultra-slim-portable-display), it connects no problem on Yosemite, Linux and Windows 10 through my MacBook Pro but all of a sudden it stopped working on any newer OS X. I can see the monitor in preferences but it only outputs Grey static. Has anyone else had this issue? Can I fix the "drivers" or is this another we don't want Nvidia so no issue? It used to work in Mojave but then one day it just stopped and the Manufacturer said that Apple dropped the software so nothing can be done. I tried SMC reset, Mac OS reinstall and NVRAM reset...

MacBook

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 12:08 PM

Yes everything works and I mean the politics between Apple and Nvidia rubbing off into their attitude for dropping support for things, not my hardware. Everything works fine in Yosemite but anything newer does not so I can't use Big Sur with it. I have to dual boot. All the cables I am using are original Apple ones. I didn't mean to click this as the solution and now am unable to remove it.... My issue is unresolved. Whats even weirder is it worked in Mojave before and then it just stopped working? Even the manufacturer said that Apple dropped the software for it.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2021 12:08 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Yes everything works and I mean the politics between Apple and Nvidia rubbing off into their attitude for dropping support for things, not my hardware. Everything works fine in Yosemite but anything newer does not so I can't use Big Sur with it. I have to dual boot. All the cables I am using are original Apple ones. I didn't mean to click this as the solution and now am unable to remove it.... My issue is unresolved. Whats even weirder is it worked in Mojave before and then it just stopped working? Even the manufacturer said that Apple dropped the software for it.

Jan 18, 2021 11:18 AM in response to louij2

Early 2015 MacBook Pro are all 13-in built-in display and feature Intel Integrated Iris 6100 graphics, no NVIDIA nothing.

I presume you mean the Caldigit TS3 Dock.

You should be using the USB-C on the rear, marked with the ThunderBolt symbol, not the port on the front that is only labeled "USB 5Gbps" in letters.

Caldigit specs say this dock requires macOS 10.12 Sierra or later.

¿are you using a high quality cable for the connection to the display itself, such as the ThunderBolt cable that shipped with the Caldigit dock?

Jan 18, 2021 1:05 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

It's not the dock it's the monitor that has the issue and it was on email. Quote "Yes. The new macOS changed the firmware of the graphic. So it doesn't support it. macOS is not like windows because they have all the drivers in their system. In windows we can create a driver to fix the problem. " Which doesn't make sense because it worked in Mojave for a while... The display literally works, the issue is the trash laptop so if anything it's time to shop for a better laptop. To throw a 4K display such as this in the trash would be nonsensical generating more e-waste but I guess that's the way Apple is making the future to go.

Jan 18, 2021 3:16 PM in response to louij2

I don't know of any other display (that purports to respond to Industry-standard graphical interfaces) that has stopped working in a similar way.

Yes, there are displays that are problematic, even difficult. But stops working?

--------

as for fiddling around with display parameters to get it to work, SwichResX is the main player in that space. It lets you change away from the parameters the display directly provides (which is what MacOS Drivers use) and let you manipulate things differently, even arbitrarily. But exactly What to change in those parameters to is a mystery to me.

By contrast, you make arbitrary settings on Windows and the display adapter does what you specify. Regardless of whether that damages your display.

Jan 19, 2021 8:18 AM in response to louij2

A frequent issue is [√] Mirror Displays. This setting checked forces the built-in and the external to use a common compromise resolution and timing. If one or the other can not handle the "compromise" settings, it can drop out.

Try un-checking that box and see if you can change resolutions to obtain a coherent picture.

The shortcut to toggle mirror displays on non-touchbar is command-F1 or command-fn-F1 -- on trouchbar it is command-Brightness-down.

4K USB C monitor worked one day and stopped working the next. Works in other OS.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.