Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor 4.4.6 stops responding during and after rendering.

During rendering (XAVC S 4K -> H.264 HD or MPEG2 DVD), the OS displays a window with the message "The system does not have enough program memory." Despite the fact that monitoring the system does not confirm this. The Compressor stops responding, but continues to work. The end of rendering is determined only by stopping the cooling system fans. After that, the application also does not respond and closes only forcibly. Is there an explanation for this?

My system: MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018, i7-2,6GHz; 16Gb RAM, AMD Radeon Pro 560X 4GB), MacOS 10.15.4.

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 8:36 PM

I'm on 10.15.4 as well.

Yesterday I had to export a 1hour 13 minute vid from FCP X.

For no apparent reason it stopped at 73% and did not move, fans went quiet.

Similar to your experience.

I shut down and re-booted my Mac.

Second time it worked as expected.

I have no idea why????

Al

Similar questions

10 replies

Apr 27, 2020 1:57 PM in response to BenB

Sorry for my English. Hope you understand me. I did everything as you recommended. After that, I uploaded a 1.5-hour project to Compressor and started rendering with the same settings as before. After 31 minutes of operation, the Compressor stopped responding, but continued to complete the task (see screenshot 1) Only after the cooling fans stopped, I realized that the rendering was finished. Before I forcedly closed the Compressor, Intel Power Gadget showed me that the processor is busy with operations and the system temperature is 70-72 ° C (see screenshot 2). System monitoring confirms that the Compressor is not responding (see screenshot 3). The only positive thing is that today there was no message "not enough program memory." Unfortunately, the recommendation does not work at 100%. But, I am grateful to you.

Apr 25, 2020 4:32 AM in response to Alchroma

Compressor 4.4.4 on MacOS Mojave worked just fine.

My problems started right after installing MacOS Catalina and Compressor 4.4.5.

Updating to version 4.4.6 did not change anything.

Typically, an application stops responding if there is more than one rendering task in the queue and the FCPX project has a duration of more than 50 minutes. The type of rendering task also matters. Tasks to reduce the resolution also usually lead to the Compressor problem.

Also, the rendering process is much slower than it was before on version 4.4.4.

Apr 27, 2020 8:03 AM in response to BenB

I disabled background rendering in FCPX. It is always off. The screenshot above shows that the Compressor uses 126.25 GB of memory. Also in the status menu, you can consider that the system disk is two-thirds free (approximately 330 GB free). I am sure that there was enough free space on the system disk.

I transcoded a project containing 4K (Sony 100 Mbps) H.264 to MPEG-2 for DVD. All source files were on an external 1GB SSD. Could this be the cause of the problem? Why on MacOS Mojave Compressor had no problems with the same settings and the same amount of free disk space?

The good news is that I alone came across this systematically )

Apr 27, 2020 8:32 AM in response to Veinard70

I'm using all of that on Catalina with no issues. I export MPEG-3 for broadcast daily without issues.

Let's try this; in Compressor go to Preferences, to Advanced, click the Reset Queue button. Select Cancel Jobs and then click the Reset button. Then click Reset Queue again, select Repair Compressor, Reset. The quit, reboot, see what happens.

Compressor 4.4.6 stops responding during and after rendering.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.