Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Photos after Catalina Update, iphotos library gone. HELP.

I had my over 250 GB worth of photos on my old mac book hard drive and external storage hard drive (time machine). Prior to installing Catalina, I was able to plug in my hard drives and access my photos on my mac book. After the update, I can't find any of the photos.

I tried to look up the master files but no luck. The storage on both hard drives were previously almost full ~ 500 GB. Now when I check the usage, it shows 250 GB available.

Did all my photos get deleted? Or is my macbook unable to read the files due to the update? I even tried to boot my computer with my old hard drive connected but I am still unable to access the files and when I check the storage usage, it says 250 GB available.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 5:33 AM

meeek123 wrote:

I had my over 250 GB worth of photos on my old mac book hard drive and external storage hard drive (time machine). Prior to installing Catalina, I was able to plug in my hard drives and access my photos on my mac book. After the update, I can't find any of the photos.

I tried to look up the master files but no luck. The storage on both hard drives were previously almost full ~ 500 GB. Now when I check the usage, it shows 250 GB available.

Did all my photos get deleted? Or is my macbook unable to read the files due to the update? I even tried to boot my computer with my old hard drive connected but I am still unable to access the files and when I check the storage usage, it says 250 GB available.

What happens if you hold the Option key while launching Photos.app— are you presented with other possibilities here of libraries?

Designate a System Photo Library in Photos - Apple Support

Get help with the Photos app on your Mac - Apple Support

Combine libraries in Photos - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2020 5:33 AM in response to meeek123

meeek123 wrote:

What happens if you hold the Option key while launching Photos.app— are you presented with other possibilities here of libraries?

Designate a System Photo Library in Photos - Apple Support

Get help with the Photos app on your Mac - Apple Support

Combine libraries in Photos - Apple Support

Lost Photos after Catalina Update, iphotos library gone. HELP.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.