Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted photos after Catalina update on MacBook

After upgrading to Catalina a certain number of photos were completely deleted from the computer.

I've tried everything from using third-party applications to recover the lost photos and videos to trying to find it through like the package contents in the Photo Library app itself. It's strange because there are a certain number of photos still there and the other half has just vanished.

Any suggestions? I'm pretty desperate

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 7:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 7:50 AM

bleachdistributor wrote:

After upgrading to Catalina a certain number of photos were completely deleted from the computer.

I've tried everything from using third-party applications to recover the lost photos and videos to trying to find it through like the package contents in the Photo Library app itself. It's strange because there are a certain number of photos still there and the other half has just vanished.

You do not say what exact Mac or what macOS you were running before you upgraded...(?)

Nor do you say what third-party applications to recover the lost photos ?

You can look for alternate Photo Library if you hold the Option key when you launch Photo.app

Designate a System Photo Library in Photos - Apple Support

You can always restore from your backups.

—How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

If you value your user data—

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2020 7:50 AM in response to bleachdistributor

bleachdistributor wrote:

You do not say what exact Mac or what macOS you were running before you upgraded...(?)

Nor do you say what third-party applications to recover the lost photos ?

You can look for alternate Photo Library if you hold the Option key when you launch Photo.app

Designate a System Photo Library in Photos - Apple Support

You can always restore from your backups.

—How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

If you value your user data—

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Deleted photos after Catalina update on MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.