Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos missing in Catalina upgrade

I have ca. 70,000 images in Photos. They are all organised in albums by year. When I upgraded to Catalina, the photo library appears to have been damaged and most of the albums from the last two years were missing.

I have a back-up on an external drive, but when I open the Library on the external drive and try to export the missing photos onto my desktop, so I can import them into my system photo library, nothing happens. The export bar does not move and it stays at 0%. Is there a special trick to exporting from an external drive Photo library to a Mac desktop?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 9:30 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Oct 25, 2020 9:57 AM in response to farm353

Is your external drive compatible with Photos 5 on Catalina? It should be locally mounted, not accessed over the network, and it must not have been used for Time Machine backups. Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Does your library contain items, that are no longer supported after the Catalina upgrade? There are some video formats and image formats , that can no longer be processed on Catalina and may now be causing problems. To et an idea what might now be problematic, have a look at this list for iMovie: About incompatible media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support

Oct 26, 2020 6:18 AM in response to farm353

When you drag an image to the desktop you are only saving the preview, not the actual image.

exporting requires access to the original image file, and that seems not to be possible. To check, if Photos can access the original image files, try to open one of the images, that cannot be exported in "Edit" mode and try to apply adjustments.

Can Photos apply adjustments? Then the original is there and can be accessed.

Where are you trying to export to? Are you exporting to a folder on your Desktop or to a folder on a different device? Photos may not have write access to the device. Or may not be able to reach it, if it is a network volume. Try to export to a local folder on your Mac.

You may want to ensure that Photos has full disk access and access to files and folders.

• Open "System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy".
  • In the left column of the panel click "Full Disk Access". Enable the checkmark for Photos, if it is there.
  • In the left column of the panel click "Files & Folders". Click the + button to add Photos, if it is not listed.

Oct 26, 2020 5:36 AM in response to farm353

Hi

EDIT: One thing to try first - on your external drive, have you checked the ignore ownership check box in the drive info pane? (See last screenshot)

In settings/users you can create a new user/password which you can log onto instead of the one you are currently using. If you do that, and try opening the library from that account it will tell us if it is somthing in your current user account that is messed up stopping photos working correctly. (See settings screenshots)

Similarly - if you try in safe mode and try it will give us clues about what might be stopping photos working.

So two separate things to try - create a new user first. If that doesn't work, then try safe mode. In safe mode you could try both users.

Oct 25, 2020 10:06 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for your reply. My external drive is compatible. And to check the supported issue, I chose a single image, a jpeg, and tried to export it. The same thing happened. The external drive library shows an export action with a progress line but it stays at 0% and does the progress circle. I can of course simply drag the image to my desktop but I lose the title and other entered data and doing that with 7000 images is not really on.

Is there some prohibition on exporting images from a library that is not the system library, or from a library that is on an external drive. Should I try to make it the system library and then try to export again?

Oct 25, 2020 10:44 AM in response to farm353

I have an archive libarary on an external drive - just checked to make sure, and no problem exporting.

As a suggestion - try creating a new user account, and see if that can sucessfully open the external library.

Another suggestion is to try starting you mac in safe mode and then trying.

Oh yes - and is it just the albums that are missing -or are the photos also missing in the "all photos" view.

Oct 25, 2020 11:39 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks for your help.

I can access the library on the external drive perfectly. But what it is not possible is to actually "export" from the external drive library of photos to my Mac. Exporting is important, as it is the only way all the image data can be preserved - simply copying or dragging and dropping does not preserve the image title, etc.

And both the albums and the photos themselves are missing in the Catalina update. But only the latest two years were affected and only some of the albums and photos.

Since I have them all on the external drive, my problem would be solved if I could export from the external drive library to the system library on my Mac or even to my desktop.

Oct 26, 2020 4:38 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks again for your help Tony. Just so I am sure what you are suggesting - what do you mean specifically by "account"? And are you also suggesting that I start up my Mac in safe mode, then open the external hard drive version of my Photos Library and try to export the missing images to my Mac desktop? Just want to be sure I don't mess things up. Richard

Oct 27, 2020 3:12 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Well, I took the simplest suggestion you made, which was to reboot in safe mode. And I am not sure whether it was the act of rebooting or whether it was the safe mode, but I am now able to export images from the photos library on the external drive, to a folder on my Mac desktop. From there, I can import them into my system photo library and, as a result, am back to where I was before I upgraded to Catalina. Thanks to both of you for your help.

In the context of the upgrade, I wonder whether many others had the same experience when they upgraded from Mojave to Catalina. If I had not had a complete back-up on an external drive, I would have lost over 10,000 of my 70,000 images, and I would have been very annoyed, to say the least.

Photos missing in Catalina upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.