Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no ethernet - older gen A1088 airport express

Hi all,

I need to have an ethernet connection in my attic. I dug out an older airport express A1088 and attached it to my wifi network ( all apple ) in the hope that I could then attach an ethernet cable from the port of the airport express to the device I am using in the attic.

The airport express can only "join my network" whereas my newer express units can extend my network.

When I connect my AE via ethernet to the unit, after checking that the status light is solid green, I find I am not receiving any connection to the device.

If I disable wifi on the AE and connect to the unit via ethernet, I can.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please ?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 8:15 AM

The A1088 Express does not have the feature or capability that you need.

You need either an A1264 or A1392 version of the Express to be able to have it "join" or "extend" a network and also provide a signal at the Ethernet port. There are no special settings required for this, the Ethernet port is enabled by default when the Express joins or extends a network.

New, refurbished and used AirPort Expresses are available on eBay.com

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2020 8:15 AM in response to panamahatzh

The A1088 Express does not have the feature or capability that you need.

You need either an A1264 or A1392 version of the Express to be able to have it "join" or "extend" a network and also provide a signal at the Ethernet port. There are no special settings required for this, the Ethernet port is enabled by default when the Express joins or extends a network.

New, refurbished and used AirPort Expresses are available on eBay.com

no ethernet - older gen A1088 airport express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.