Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot use Dock while Browser is open for some reason??

Hello all, I just recently got a new Macbook Pro laptop, because my old one was getting a little slow, but I am confused by an issue that I am hoping to get a fix for....

On my old laptop, I used to be able to open a browser, and also open applications in the Dock, at the same time, but on this new laptop, when I click an application from the Dock, it slides my whole desktop aside, and opens a whole new desktop, which is problematic for me. I am not certain if this is a setting in System Preferences for the laptop, or a setting in the browser, but I would appreciate any advice.

Oh yes, and Thanks in advance!!

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 1:57 PM

3 replies

Apr 25, 2020 4:30 PM in response to zacklloyd9

zacklloyd9 wrote:

Hello all, I just recently got a new Macbook Pro laptop, because my old one was getting a little slow, but I am confused by an issue that I am hoping to get a fix for....
On my old laptop, I used to be able to open a browser, and also open applications in the Dock, at the same time, but on this new laptop, when I click an application from the Dock, it slides my whole desktop aside, and opens a whole new desktop, which is problematic for me. I am not certain if this is a setting in System Preferences for the laptop, or a setting in the browser, but I would appreciate any advice.
Oh yes, and Thanks in advance!!

To add— even in Full Screen you can still drop your mouse to the bottom to have the Dock become visible.

Another option—unrelated to full screen, from >System Preferences>Dock >Auto Hide

Use the Dock on Mac - Apple Support

Apr 25, 2020 6:59 PM in response to leroydouglas

@leroydouglas

Yes, it did seem to be that I was in Full screen mode, in the browser, and this was causing the issue....

Truthfully, do not recall having purposely gone into Full screen though, which is why I did not think of that!!

dialabrain
That would happen if an app was in Full Screen Mode the last time it was used. Most apps open in the last view used.
See: Use apps in full screen on Mac - Apple Support

Yes, as I said above, something that I am not sure what, had snapped me into Full screen somehow!!

Cannot use Dock while Browser is open for some reason??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.