Dock issues when clicking on apps - Macbook Pro 14" 2021

Hi

I have a MacBook Pro 2021 14".

I am studying graphic design so often have a lot of apps open at the same time such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Powerpoint, Word, Google Chrome etc.

When trying to navigate between the apps I am hitting problems. for instance, if I am in Photoshop, and then need to go back to Google Chrome to get an image, I will go to the dock and click on the Chrome icon, but Word or one of the other apps will open up instead. This is just one example, it will actually happen when trying to switch between any apps. It then takes a second click on the desired app in the dock for the right one to open.

I know this is not a major issue, but one I have been unable to solve and does break down the speed when trying to work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Kind Regards

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 3:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2023 4:16 AM

I am not familiar with the strange icon behavior, but I strongly recommend starting to use multiple desktops that would bypass the issue.

To set up multiple desktops on a Mac, simply go to Mission Control in System Preferences and enable the feature. You can then create new desktops by clicking the "+" icon in the top right corner of Mission Control or by using the swipe up gesture with three fingers on your trackpad.

Once you have multiple desktops set up, you can easily switch between them by using the swipe left or right gesture with three fingers on your trackpad. You can also use the Mission Control key on your keyboard or the dedicated Mission Control button on your Magic Mouse to access all your desktops.

To move an application or window to a different desktop, simply click and hold the window's title bar and use the swipe left or right gesture with three fingers to move it to the desired desktop.

In addition to moving windows, you can also use the "right-click" option on your mouse or trackpad to move an application to a specific desktop. Simply right-click on the application in the dock, select "Options," and choose "This Desktop" from the menu.

Overall, using multiple desktops on a Mac can be a simple and effective way to stay organized and boost productivity.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2023 4:16 AM in response to jgoffin79

I am not familiar with the strange icon behavior, but I strongly recommend starting to use multiple desktops that would bypass the issue.

To set up multiple desktops on a Mac, simply go to Mission Control in System Preferences and enable the feature. You can then create new desktops by clicking the "+" icon in the top right corner of Mission Control or by using the swipe up gesture with three fingers on your trackpad.

Once you have multiple desktops set up, you can easily switch between them by using the swipe left or right gesture with three fingers on your trackpad. You can also use the Mission Control key on your keyboard or the dedicated Mission Control button on your Magic Mouse to access all your desktops.

To move an application or window to a different desktop, simply click and hold the window's title bar and use the swipe left or right gesture with three fingers to move it to the desired desktop.

In addition to moving windows, you can also use the "right-click" option on your mouse or trackpad to move an application to a specific desktop. Simply right-click on the application in the dock, select "Options," and choose "This Desktop" from the menu.

Overall, using multiple desktops on a Mac can be a simple and effective way to stay organized and boost productivity.

Dock issues when clicking on apps - Macbook Pro 14" 2021

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.