Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Cannot remove any applications from dock

On my workplace iMac, running macOS Monterey 12.0.1, I cannot remove any applications from the dock—even if the application is closed. This means I'm stuck with a distracting array of 15+ icons, including mail and calendar applications I do not use.

I've tried all the advice I've found online:

• When I right click an icon, "remove from dock" does not appear
  • When I drag the apps up to the desktop, nothing happens
  • When I drag an app to the trash, "Remove from dock" appears before I release, but the app returns to its original place on the dock
  • In Terminal, I tried the killall Dock command, and nothing happened
  • If I move com.apple.dock.plist to the desktop, the original remains in the Preferences folder

Is there anything else to try? I wonder if this is a side effect of my employer's security settings.

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 1:28 AM

User wrote " On my workplace iMac, running macOS Monterey 12.0.1 "

1 - Workplace iMac - is this computer managed by a Mobile Digital Management Service ( MDM for short ) ?

If so, they may have disabled this customizing you what. It which case speak to your IT Department

2 - Monterey 12.01 is very behind in updates The current update for Monterey has reached 12.6.8

Some of your issue maybe related to this and by updating it will bing mane Bug and Security Fixes

Links below related to keeping the computer up to date

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support (CA)

About the security content of macOS Monterey 12.6.8 - Apple Support (CA)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2023 1:28 AM in response to rdh47

User wrote " On my workplace iMac, running macOS Monterey 12.0.1 "

1 - Workplace iMac - is this computer managed by a Mobile Digital Management Service ( MDM for short ) ?

If so, they may have disabled this customizing you what. It which case speak to your IT Department

2 - Monterey 12.01 is very behind in updates The current update for Monterey has reached 12.6.8

Some of your issue maybe related to this and by updating it will bing mane Bug and Security Fixes

Links below related to keeping the computer up to date

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support (CA)

About the security content of macOS Monterey 12.6.8 - Apple Support (CA)

Jul 26, 2023 1:45 PM in response to rdh47

I suggest restarting the computer in the Safe Mode. Hold down the Shift key on restart. This process can take up to ten minutes while the computer is preparing its operating system and emptying its caches. If that doesn't work, open Disk Utility and use its repair function. If necessary, rerun until it reports an OK result.

Cannot remove any applications from dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.