Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 8 & ipad 7 won't stay connected to macbook (mid 2015) usb charging ports

I have just updated iOS on my ipad 7th gen and iphone 8plus to be up to date. My macbook is also up to date. I was not having this problem a week ago before updating my products. Now when I plug in my iphone or ipad using a lightning to USB cable (I have tried the cable that came with the ipad and the one that came with the iphone) it flashes between being connected and charging and not being connected within seconds. Back and forth between connected and not connected. I need to be able to connect my ipad to my computer to use duel display. Please help, I think it must be something wrong with the newest iOS. I have tried charging my beats that use micro-USB to USB cables and that works fine.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 11:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 11:15 PM

Good thing that you have validated that your charging cables are in good working order and are genuine Apple products.

1. Force ReStart Your iPhone and your iPad.
  2. On your MacBook, ➔ Reset the SMC and if that does not work then ➔ Reset the NVRAM/PRAM

Then try again and see if that helps.

Axel F.

3 replies

May 22, 2020 5:24 PM in response to Axel Foley

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried doing both of those things and it appeared while my computer was turning on after resetting the NVRAM/PRAM that my phone that was plugged in was staying connected and charging but within 20 seconds, once my computer was almost done reopening applications, it was back to flipping back and forth between being connected and charging and disconnecting within seconds. Back and forth, not staying connected. I never had this problem until updating my computer to Catalina. And now my external hard drives aren't being recognized either.

iphone 8 & ipad 7 won't stay connected to macbook (mid 2015) usb charging ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.