Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 4 history activity data with new iPhone, old phone dropped in the sea.

I dropped my iPhone X in the sea 20 days ago water entered, I cleaned it, dried it out for 3 days before trying to start it up but it's dead.

I also have not been able to try to get it fixed and also wasn't able to buy a new one since the small island in Thailand I'm on is on Covid-19 lockdown.

I had an old iPhone 6Plus so I took my SIM card and started using the old phone, connected it with my Apple ID but said no to use available backup. I was still hoping the iPhone X would wake up. Big mistake. I forgot to turn off iCloud back up for the iPhone6 plus and it appears that after a few days my iPhone X iCloud backup is gone. Apparently iCloud keeps only the 3 last backups.

I kept exercising using my Apple Watch 4 but didn't pair it with the old iPhone. The iPhone 6 cannot use the Activity app (that came with 6S) so I figured I just wait until I get a new phone delivered.

Today I got a new iPhone 11 Pro Max and I'm really hesitant on getting started. I know a couple of people that lost all data from their work outs, years of it, by doing it wrong.

QUESTION: Is the Apple watch data in the cloud backed up separately from the iPhone back up? Then it would be reasonable to assume I can find that watch backup again?

I can't unpair my watch and phone, what if I can't pair with the new phone? If I erase the watch completely and then pair with new phone, am I sure to be able to get back all Activity data etc. into the new phone or is that gone with the iPhone X's backup?

My health app shows also the year old data from the watch, will that stay intact?

I share my activities with a friend of mine and he keeps getting updates on my workouts even though I haven't got the watch paired with any working phone atm.

I would so much appreciate if someone has any hints as to how to do this the best way.

Thanks, Michael

Apple Watch

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 4:59 AM

QUESTION: Is the Apple watch data in the cloud backed up separately from the iPhone back up? Then it would be reasonable to assume I can find that watch backup again?

The data from the watch is uploaded to the phone's activity app and health app so when you unpair the watch a backup is created that includes your activity and health app data all in the same backup.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2020 4:59 AM in response to BlueTao

The data from the watch is uploaded to the phone's activity app and health app so when you unpair the watch a backup is created that includes your activity and health app data all in the same backup.

Apr 27, 2020 5:51 AM in response to Community User

Thanks for your reply!

I cannot unpair my watch because the phone took in water and is dead. I've kept using the watch only so have 3 weeks of activity on it that surely hasn't gone to that phone.

I also stupidly enough managed to get the iPhone backup deleted when I started using another iPhone temporarily without restoring the original phones backup and forgot to turn off iCloud backups on that temporary phone. So after that phone got itself backed up to the cloud 3 times, from what I understand, the older backup is gone. That's also what I can see when searching for that backup. Doesn't exist. I know. Great job, right? :(

I've read that if I try to pair the old watch (that I haven't been able to unpair with the old phone) with a new phone, it won't let me unless I reset the watch. Doing that would delete all data on it. I wonder if the watch iCloud backup would be reachable if I do this or will all date be lost forever....?

I think I explained everything in the original post but I think you read only the "Question" part.

Again, thanks for taking the time to answer and if you know a way to solve my problem I would be forever grateful :).

Apr 27, 2020 7:22 PM in response to Community User

Are you certain you have lost your iPhone X backup? My experience is that each phone you register has a separate backup.

I have a X and 6S and they are both backed up separately and my exercise data does eventually find its way onto my 6S though my watches are paired to the X.

have you tried restoring your new iPhone 11 from backup? Can you risk a complete reset of the 11 and try again?

other than that fierykack isn’t correct.

Apr 27, 2020 7:39 AM in response to BlueTao

I read all your post,you only asked one question and I answered that.

My advice to you now is to bite the bullet and start again from scratch.

Apple Watch 4 history activity data with new iPhone, old phone dropped in the sea.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.