Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto

Hi,

I just upgraded to Catalina and I wanted to open the first time my iPhoto library with the new Photos app. I stored the iPhoto Labrary in an external SSD drive.

The iPhoto Library file is event now shown on the drive. How it is possible and what can I do to recover and use my iPhoto Library?

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 5:22 AM

To open the iPhoto Library in Photos for Mac launch the Photos.app while holding down the options key ⌥, until the library chooser dialog appears. In this dialog select the library on your external SSD.

This will work, if your external volume is compatible with Photos for Mac.

• The file system format of the volume needs to be MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS.
  • The volume must not have been used for Time machine backups.
  • The volume needs to be locally mounted, not shared on the network. If your external volume is a NAS or connected to Airport or similar, plug it directly into your Mac while you try to convert the iPhoto Library to t Photos library.

See also: Updating from iPhoto to Photos for OS X - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2020 5:22 AM in response to zsuzsannafor

To open the iPhoto Library in Photos for Mac launch the Photos.app while holding down the options key ⌥, until the library chooser dialog appears. In this dialog select the library on your external SSD.

This will work, if your external volume is compatible with Photos for Mac.

• The file system format of the volume needs to be MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS.
  • The volume must not have been used for Time machine backups.
  • The volume needs to be locally mounted, not shared on the network. If your external volume is a NAS or connected to Airport or similar, plug it directly into your Mac while you try to convert the iPhoto Library to t Photos library.

See also: Updating from iPhoto to Photos for OS X - Apple Support

Apr 26, 2020 12:51 PM in response to zsuzsannafor

Hi,

After a deep research I found on this site: https://www.scanyourentirelife.com/resources/iphoto/photos-disappeared-missing/how-locate-missing-original-iphoto-photo-library-file-computer/ a suggestion that worked.

Having the external drive plugged into my MACBookPro and restarting it, Photo recognized the file and started to process it. However I still do not see the file. So, if you have any suggestion how to make visible the iPhotoLibrary.. I would very much appreciate.

iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.