Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to restore my iPhoto library

When I updated from Mojave to Catalina I didn't open my new Photos app for awhile. When I did, it seems all my photos that were in my iPhoto library are not there. I realize that the app changed from 32 to 64 bit, but I thought it would have kept my photos. So, my questions...

Is there a way to restore my photo library?

I have a Time Machine back up disc that goes back to before I changed OS. Can I get them from there somehow?

Any other good advice on this?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 9:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 10:39 PM

To see your older photos in Photos you have to find the iPhoto Library. By default your iPhoto Library has been created in the Pictures folder. To open it in Photos and to create a Photos Library from the iPhoto Library hold own the options key ⌥ while launching Photos and release the key, when the dialog to select a library appears. Select your iPhoto Library. Photo will create a new library in the same folder as the iPhoto Library. Are your iPhoto photos and videos there?

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2022 10:39 PM in response to orvillej

To see your older photos in Photos you have to find the iPhoto Library. By default your iPhoto Library has been created in the Pictures folder. To open it in Photos and to create a Photos Library from the iPhoto Library hold own the options key ⌥ while launching Photos and release the key, when the dialog to select a library appears. Select your iPhoto Library. Photo will create a new library in the same folder as the iPhoto Library. Are your iPhoto photos and videos there?

Apr 21, 2022 12:25 AM in response to TonyCollinet

It was last opened in an earlier OS, before iPhoto became Photos. As I mentioned, I updated from Mojave to Catalina and I believe (i could be wrong) that's when everything changed from 32 bit to 64 bit and some of my older apps stopped opening and have the "0 with a line across" showing they don't work anymore. I did pull that library up from 2019 on my Time Machine back up because I think that was before I changed operating systems.

how to restore my iPhoto library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.