Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring Texts From iPhone 5s to iPhone 8 Plus

I updated from iPhone 5s to 8 Plus. I did a backup before using iCloud to transfer my data. I just realized that only part of my text messages came through. I can send and recieve new ones. Help?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 1:51 PM

On the 5S did you enable message syncing in Settings[your name]/iCloud - Messages? If so then just do the same on the 8 Plus.

Message sync to iCloud is not related to iCloud backup; while they both use iCloud the two are completely separate functions. If you did not have message syncing enabled then all of your texts should be in an iCloud backup as long as it was made after the texts were sent/received. You can restore such a backup, but it will overwrite everything on your phone including new messages.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2020 1:51 PM in response to HcKb_26

On the 5S did you enable message syncing in Settings[your name]/iCloud - Messages? If so then just do the same on the 8 Plus.

Message sync to iCloud is not related to iCloud backup; while they both use iCloud the two are completely separate functions. If you did not have message syncing enabled then all of your texts should be in an iCloud backup as long as it was made after the texts were sent/received. You can restore such a backup, but it will overwrite everything on your phone including new messages.

Transferring Texts From iPhone 5s to iPhone 8 Plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.