Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tips for upping Wifi speed on mid-2014 MacBook Pro (13 inch)

Hello there,

After months of complaining about the performance of my cable company's superfast internet, I have finally realized the problem might be my mid-2014 MacBook Pro. Concurrent speed tests on my 2014 MBP, my husband's 2018 MBP, and my iPhone XR got download speeds around 450mbps on the latter two devices, but only 20mbps on my 2014 MBP. Even accounting for minor variances (all devices were in the same room within a few feet of each other), that's a big difference.

Looking at the specs of our two Macs the Wifi hardware seems to be the same; what other updates/adjustments to my MacBook can I make to boost the connection speed? I'll probably be replacing it within the year, but in the meantime I'd like to eke out as much performance as I can in the meantime.

Thanks!

JJ

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 10:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 9:58 AM

Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting WiFi issues:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202663

If you Option-click the WiFi icon on the menubar, what are the signal levels (RSSi), Noise level, and what type of connection is established (a/b/g/n, and the transmit rate)?

Try Safe Mode and try creating a new user account and testing with the new user. Try creating a new network location.

Does the same issue occur with a wired Ethernet connection? If so, then try the steps above, or maybe you have a software issue. Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2020 9:58 AM in response to jessjay

Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting WiFi issues:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202663

If you Option-click the WiFi icon on the menubar, what are the signal levels (RSSi), Noise level, and what type of connection is established (a/b/g/n, and the transmit rate)?

Try Safe Mode and try creating a new user account and testing with the new user. Try creating a new network location.

Does the same issue occur with a wired Ethernet connection? If so, then try the steps above, or maybe you have a software issue. Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Tips for upping Wifi speed on mid-2014 MacBook Pro (13 inch)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.