Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving from windows to Mac

Hi All

i am thinking if moving from windows to Mac finally. My question is that i have an external windows hard drive and want to transfer my files from this to an external Mac hard drive is this an easy process?

Cheers Dan

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 12:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 2:42 AM

Hello and welcome to the Mac Family! 😀

You should be able to easily transfer the files from one hard drive to the other. Obviously some files might not open on the Mac due to being different operating systems however, usually there is a built in program in macOS that should be able to open most similar Windows files. Check out the link below for details about how to move your data:

Move Your Data From a Windows PC to your Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204087

Let me know if this helps or if you have further questions!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2020 2:42 AM in response to Capri Dan

Hello and welcome to the Mac Family! 😀

You should be able to easily transfer the files from one hard drive to the other. Obviously some files might not open on the Mac due to being different operating systems however, usually there is a built in program in macOS that should be able to open most similar Windows files. Check out the link below for details about how to move your data:

Move Your Data From a Windows PC to your Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204087

Let me know if this helps or if you have further questions!

Apr 27, 2020 4:37 AM in response to Capri Dan

Capri Dan wrote:

Hi All

i am thinking if moving from windows to Mac finally. My question is that i have an external windows hard drive and want to transfer my files from this to an external Mac hard drive is this an easy process?

Cheers Dan

Mac tips for Windows switchers - Apple Support

Move your data from a Windows PC to your Mac - Apple Support

moving from windows to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.