Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring Files From Windows To Mac

I used Migration Assistant to transfer documents from Windows 10 to my MacBook Pro (Catalina). Folders transferred but the files inside the folders did not. Now I want to try using a thumb drive. No problem using the thumb drive on the Windows laptop, but what do I use to connect it to my Mac?

MacBook

Posted on May 11, 2020 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 5:55 PM

Yes....your two thumb drives would work with the adapter. No----you don't have to format them ExFat, and recopy the files, unless you have no other choice. There is a utility with a 10 day free trial, Paragon NTFS, which will let your Mac read Windows pre-formatted drives of any kind, be they thumb drives or hard drives. I think 10 days is long enough for you to transfer your files, depending, of course, on how many you have to transfer and their overall size. That I don't know. Then, yes, you will be able to easily transfer them from the thumb drive to to whatever you want on your Mac. I was going to suggest that if you had a lot of files, and lots of space needed, if you had an external hard drive that you used on your Windows 10 PC, you could use that, but, again, I don't really know your situation or what you need.

anyways, good luck to you

john b

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2020 5:55 PM in response to Willing_Pupil

Yes....your two thumb drives would work with the adapter. No----you don't have to format them ExFat, and recopy the files, unless you have no other choice. There is a utility with a 10 day free trial, Paragon NTFS, which will let your Mac read Windows pre-formatted drives of any kind, be they thumb drives or hard drives. I think 10 days is long enough for you to transfer your files, depending, of course, on how many you have to transfer and their overall size. That I don't know. Then, yes, you will be able to easily transfer them from the thumb drive to to whatever you want on your Mac. I was going to suggest that if you had a lot of files, and lots of space needed, if you had an external hard drive that you used on your Windows 10 PC, you could use that, but, again, I don't really know your situation or what you need.

anyways, good luck to you

john b

May 16, 2020 2:15 PM in response to Johnb-one

Hi John,

I downloaded NTFS. Rebooted as instructed. Plugged in the adapter and then my Seagate Expansion Drive.

Seagate expansion drive icon appeared in lower right corner. Clicked on it, clicked on New Document Job(11), message appeared: The document “New Backup Job(11).gbp” could not be opened.

Inside the NTFS window:

I clicked on the blue link, volume/Seagate Expansion Drive

On the next screen I selected New Document Job(11) and the same error message appeared:

Suggestions please?

May 11, 2020 4:34 PM in response to Johnb-one

Yes, I have the newer MacBook Pro with thunderbolt 3.

I have two thumb drives that I used in past years to back up files from Windows 10. Would they work with the adapter? Or would I have to reformat them ExFat, recopy the files and then transfer to Mac? And then ... will I be able to easily transfer them from the thumb drive to the file I want on the Mac?

Transferring Files From Windows To Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.