Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal Keyboard+Trackpad freezes while waking from Sleep - MBP 13 inch 2019 - Searching for bluetooth keyboard pops up - Changed New Internal Keyboard - Reset NVRAM + SMC multiple times

My MBP 13" late 2019 built in trackpad and keyboard stops functioning abruptly. It has been working fine and intermittently it stops all of a sudden. The problem generally happens when the computer wakes from sleep. The problem also happens intermittently once in few months and then just goes away. During the problem, the trackpad and the keyboard both do not work and freezes. Also a pop up window appears that the MBP is searching for 'Bluetooth Keyboard and it is not found'. Whereas no such keyboards are connected. After few seconds of freezing, automatically the pop-up goes and the MBP starts working. I have taken to Apple Service and they thought that the problem is with butterfly keyboard may be and have changed the keyboard. However, the problem of searching bluetooth keyboard persists. I do not use any bluetooth keyboard or mouse. Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4 is OS. The MBP is just few months old bought in Dec, 2019. The searching of bluetooth keyboard is driving me crazy. Also I have tried resetting NVRAM+SMC. No help with that. Please help as Apple Service is also not being able to answer regarding the issue.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 1:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2020 12:01 AM

I personally never reach out to Customer Care centres simply because they don't really understand what we are dealing with. In my past experience, they just provide simple steps which we would have already tried diagnosing with. I think this issue surfaced for me after the last update. I am waiting for a new update to fix this issue, hopefully.

Similar questions

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2020 12:01 AM in response to Sayantanu

I personally never reach out to Customer Care centres simply because they don't really understand what we are dealing with. In my past experience, they just provide simple steps which we would have already tried diagnosing with. I think this issue surfaced for me after the last update. I am waiting for a new update to fix this issue, hopefully.

May 1, 2020 11:11 AM in response to RRC08

Ok. This clears atleast one prospect. However, the issue is that there is no proper solution or rather acknowledgement with this problem anywhere. There is no proper materials available by apple also. Right now, I have gone into the Bluetooth Setting advanced in Preference and disabled the - Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at Startup if No Keyboard is detected and also Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer. This is permutation combination I'm doing to check whether this solves the issue or not as I also felt that this might be some software issue and not hardware maybe. As the problem happens intermittently and mainly from during Waking Up, I'm waiting to see if the problem occurs again to rule out the possibilities. You can also do and check if it solves and inform. Atleast if both of us will try we can understand the problem better. Have you got any solution from Apple Service Centre ? I wish more inputs are available from others.

May 6, 2020 12:41 AM in response to RRC08

Well same here...However, with the temporary fix as of now as I have mentioned above, I'm not facing the problem till now. Still, it is very nascent to comment anything. I just have one doubt that if Apple and its team is not acknowledging the issue being hardware or software or atleast acknowledging the issue to its very core gives me less hope of any fix targeted to it. However, it just can be a secondary fix of any other core problem maybe.

May 25, 2020 7:37 AM in response to Sayantanu

Same MBP 2019, same problem. Now sometimes when my laptop wakes from sleep, neither the keyboard nor the mouse is working, and it tries to find a bluetooth keyboard/mouse, even though I never used one. I need to power down and up the laptop to get it work again.

I'm not 100% sure, but suspect that this happens mostly after I use the internet through a personal hotspot created by my iphone before I put the laptop to sleep. Maybe this has something to do with it.

Never had the problem before I recently upgraded to Catalina.

Very annoying, looking for a solution.

May 27, 2020 9:46 AM in response to gyepi

Recently without searching the bluetooth keyboard, the keyboard and mouse stops responding totally. And after few seconds, electricity reaches to the keyboard and mouse as the keyboard light also starts glowing then. Also, there is a minute delay in waking up of the keyboard and mouse sometimes instead of major delay as discussed above. One more thing I have been able to consolidate that the problem exists only during 'Waking Up' not during 'Start-Up'.

Still finding a way to solve the issue and to reach out to Apple for some solution. Nowhere Apple has even acknowledged about this issue however many users are facing the same. Not sure software or hardware issue till now. I'have run apple hardware diagnostics where hardware came clean with no issues. NVRAM + SMC Reset has been done million times. Hence, confusion is increasing regarding the basic type of issue - Is it Hardware or Software ?

Can anyone guide how to address Apple directly?

May 27, 2020 9:50 AM in response to selfImage

Same issue is continuing. Delay in Waking up of Keyboard and mouse with intermittent complete non-responsive mouse and trackpad during 'Waking Up'. The problem persists during 'Waking Up' only. The community facing this problem is pretty large and no where officially any reviewers or company has acknowledged this issue.

Problem persists during 'Waking Up' only. Trying to find a way to get in touch with Apple directly and highlight this frustrating issue. Any help is most welcome.

My MBP came clean in the hardware diagnostic test also. Totally confused regarding software issue or hardware issue.

Aug 10, 2020 10:12 PM in response to Sayantanu

I hope they fix this issue in the new big update (Big Sur). This is really unacceptable from a company like Apple. I bought a Macbook to use MacOs just get away from minor bugs like this only to come and face it right here. Please fix this Apple!! It's a very irritating to open your device to work on something real quick only to stare at your mac for some minutes before you can work with it.

Oct 8, 2020 4:42 AM in response to Sayantanu

I have exactly the same problem on my 16 inch Macbook Pro 2019 model. Resetting NVRAM, PRAM etc only helps one time. After a short while it appears again. I am on Catalina (10.15.7), and hope that this will be resolved on Big Sur, and I don't want to spend that much time to format the OS because this is my work laptop.

Internal Keyboard+Trackpad freezes while waking from Sleep - MBP 13 inch 2019 - Searching for bluetooth keyboard pops up - Changed New Internal Keyboard - Reset NVRAM + SMC multiple times

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.