Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive - stuck uploading one file

I have iCloud drive enabled - with many GB of data.

For many days now the sync indicator has looked like this:

And if I click on the progress indicator I get this:

And it has been stuck on "Uploading 1 item" for about 5 days now.

I have no idea how to find out which file is being uploaded because none of the folders or files in my iCloud drive have the "cloud" symbol on them which normally indicates syncing activity.

The problem persists after a re-boot.

How can I check which file is stuck? Are there any iCloud diagnostics available?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 2:16 AM

Hi @brenden dv

Thanks for the reply.

Here's an update: after several reboots it was still showing the same notice.

I have since added and removed other files - and they get synced without issue and the notice still remained.

Then I did two things - i) I did "Get Info" on the root of the iCloud drive and ii) I turned on the "iCloud Status" column in the root folder view of iCloud.

One of these two things made the notification disappear - but I am not sure which one!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2020 2:16 AM in response to brenden dv

Hi @brenden dv

Thanks for the reply.

Here's an update: after several reboots it was still showing the same notice.

I have since added and removed other files - and they get synced without issue and the notice still remained.

Then I did two things - i) I did "Get Info" on the root of the iCloud drive and ii) I turned on the "iCloud Status" column in the root folder view of iCloud.

One of these two things made the notification disappear - but I am not sure which one!

Apr 28, 2020 6:09 PM in response to Kenny Millar

Hi Kenny Millar,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand iCloud Drive on your Mac appears to be stuck on uploading 1 item over the span of 5+ days. I'd like to help.

While the title may differ slightly from what you are experiencing, I would suggest trying out the steps in this article: Access iCloud Drive files from your iPhone and other devices - Apple Support under the section titled, 'If your files don't update to iCloud Drive'. This includes, checking your iCloud storage totals, trying a different network connection, installing latest software versions, and creating a new document to save to iCloud Drive to see if that pushes through the upload.

Keep me posted. Regards.

Apr 29, 2020 3:19 PM in response to Kenny Millar

Kenny Millar,

When it comes to viewing the iCloud status of your files and folders, you will see a specific cloud symbol next to the file or folder name. More about this can be found here: Get file, folder, and disk information on Mac - Apple Support. In this case, since you mentioned you already checked for this, and did not see any cloud icons next to your files or folders in iCloud Drive representing the "stuck" one, we provided steps to troubleshoot the uploading alert instead. There is not a specific diagnostics for iCloud itself.

Were you able to perform the steps provided to see if it updates your iCloud Drive status? Have you checked iCloud to see if there are any alerts related to 'uploading'?

Let us know. Thank you!

iCloud Drive - stuck uploading one file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.