📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone- Wired earbuds and wireless charging

Can USB earbuds be plugged into an iPhone when wirelessly charging it? I really want the option to listen to music or watch a video with earbuds while I charge my phone. With new iPhone models, there is no more headphone jack so wired earbuds are plugged into the USB port making wireless charging the only option. But it sounds like anything plugged into the USB port will stop wireless charging of the phone which defeats the purpose. Just trying to confirm before I decide to upgrade from my old iPhone SE to the latest and find out I have to shell out $$$ for AirPods. Thanks.

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 12:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 7:39 AM

Hello OregonShopper,

Thanks for the post. As I understand it, you want to know if you can use Lightning port-connected headphones while charging your iPhone on a wireless charging pad. Is that right?

You mentioned USB devices. Are you referring to the text below? How to wirelessly charge your iPhone

"Your iPhone won't charge wirelessly when connected to USB. If your iPhone is connected to your computer with USB, or if it's connected to a USB power adapter, your iPhone will charge using the USB connection."

It sounds like that text is referring to connecting your device to a USB port for charging rather than connecting to Lightning headphones. While results could vary depending on the exact configuration and hardware, generally speaking, it should be possible to connect headphones to your Lightning port while using wireless charging.

Take care.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 29, 2020 7:39 AM in response to OregonShopper

Hello OregonShopper,

Thanks for the post. As I understand it, you want to know if you can use Lightning port-connected headphones while charging your iPhone on a wireless charging pad. Is that right?

You mentioned USB devices. Are you referring to the text below? How to wirelessly charge your iPhone

"Your iPhone won't charge wirelessly when connected to USB. If your iPhone is connected to your computer with USB, or if it's connected to a USB power adapter, your iPhone will charge using the USB connection."

It sounds like that text is referring to connecting your device to a USB port for charging rather than connecting to Lightning headphones. While results could vary depending on the exact configuration and hardware, generally speaking, it should be possible to connect headphones to your Lightning port while using wireless charging.

Take care.

iPhone- Wired earbuds and wireless charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.