Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Book Pro 2008 won't boot

Hi all,

I enjoyed a lot my mac book pro (August 2008) but now it does not start anymore.

I rebooted it wiht command+V and it seems something does not work. (see screenshot upside down!)

I am not knowledgeable to know what's the problem.

Can someone help?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 12:25 PM

Install Lion Through Yosemite from Scratch

If possible, back up your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  3. After Disk Utility loads select the volume (this is the indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the side list. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar.
  4. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button
  5. When the process has completed quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button. 

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2020 12:25 PM in response to takajouer

Install Lion Through Yosemite from Scratch

If possible, back up your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress bar appear. Wait until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  3. After Disk Utility loads select the volume (this is the indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the side list. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar.
  4. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button
  5. When the process has completed quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button. 

Apr 27, 2020 1:20 PM in response to takajouer

Then your Recovery HD is also not working. Since that is a very old computer, you will need to start by installing OS X from the Software Restore DVDs that came with the computer or you can use the retail Snow Leopard DVD, if you have it. If you don't have either, then you need a Lion installer. You can purchase Lion at the Online Apple Store. The cost is $19.99 (as it was before) plus tax.  It's a download. You will get an email containing a redemption code that you then use at the Mac App Store to download Lion. Save a copy of that installer to your Downloads folder because the installer deletes itself at the end of the installation.

You will have to get access to another Mac in order to create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive installer.

Mac Book Pro 2008 won't boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.