Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will not start up

Hi.

ive got a mac book pro 2013 late version OS X 10.11.6

it will not start up. When i turn it on i see the apple logo and a loading bar but before finishing it turns off again.

i tried first aid in recovery mode and not all succeded so maybe there is a problem there?

i also tried to reinstall mac os but its “this item is currently unavailable”.

my knowledge upon this is limited please help me.

Apple support disconnected me before the problem was solved.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 11:19 AM

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Try booting the laptop into Safe Mode. Maybe you will get lucky and it will finish booting as that may make things easier.

If First Aid is unable to repair the file system, then that is most likely your problem. Keep in mind if the file system is bad and cannot be repaired, then you will likely need to perform a clean install of macOS by first erasing the whole physical SSD before installing macOS since reinstalling macOS over top of itself likely won't help you. Just make sure you have a good backup of your data before erasing the SSD since erasing a drive destroys all data on it. Another option would be to install macOS to an external drive especially if you don't have a backup so you can attempt to rescue your files.

To attempt to resolve the error when attempting to reinstall macOS you may need to change the date to some point in 2017 or perhaps even earlier. You can launch the Terminal app from the Utilities menu in Recovery Mode and issue the following command to set the date to Jan. 2, 2017 @ 11:22am:

date  -u  0102112217

If this still gives you the same error, then try changing the year to 2016, or 2015, or 2014, etc. The last two digits of the command are the year.

If you have access to another Mac from 2007 to 2015, then you may be able to create a bootable macOS 10.11 USB installer. Or if you have access to a Mac from 2010 to 2018, then you can create a bootable macOS 10.13 USB installer instead. If you had upgraded to macOS 10.13 previously, then you would also have access to Internet Recovery Mode.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

You should always have frequent and regular backups.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 11:19 AM in response to Dilemma1996

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Try booting the laptop into Safe Mode. Maybe you will get lucky and it will finish booting as that may make things easier.

If First Aid is unable to repair the file system, then that is most likely your problem. Keep in mind if the file system is bad and cannot be repaired, then you will likely need to perform a clean install of macOS by first erasing the whole physical SSD before installing macOS since reinstalling macOS over top of itself likely won't help you. Just make sure you have a good backup of your data before erasing the SSD since erasing a drive destroys all data on it. Another option would be to install macOS to an external drive especially if you don't have a backup so you can attempt to rescue your files.

To attempt to resolve the error when attempting to reinstall macOS you may need to change the date to some point in 2017 or perhaps even earlier. You can launch the Terminal app from the Utilities menu in Recovery Mode and issue the following command to set the date to Jan. 2, 2017 @ 11:22am:

date  -u  0102112217

If this still gives you the same error, then try changing the year to 2016, or 2015, or 2014, etc. The last two digits of the command are the year.

If you have access to another Mac from 2007 to 2015, then you may be able to create a bootable macOS 10.11 USB installer. Or if you have access to a Mac from 2010 to 2018, then you can create a bootable macOS 10.13 USB installer instead. If you had upgraded to macOS 10.13 previously, then you would also have access to Internet Recovery Mode.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

You should always have frequent and regular backups.

will not start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.