Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Multiport Adapter use

Hello. everyone, I have a couple of questions regarding the use of the apple Multiport Adapter in combination with other devices. I hope someone has enough knowledge about it to answer. Many thanks in advance! Here it goes:

1. Is it safe and possible to connect another USB hub (powered) on the USB A port of the Multiport Adapter?
  2. Is it safe and possible to connect another USB hub (not powered) on the USB A port of the Multiport Adapter?
  3. When there is charger attached to the USB C port of the Multiport Adapter, and when there is load (another hub or device) on the USB A port of the Multiport Adapter, how is the power flow? I assume the charger attached to the USB C port is charging/powering the device attached on the USB A port, right? Or is it possible that it goes over the computer? (That does not make sense, right?)
  4. This adapter charges the computer over the USB C port, but since the Multiport Adapter draws power as well, the wattage for an 87-watt-adapter becomes 82 watts. Assuming further load (another hub or device) on the USB A port of the adapter, shouldn't I use a higher watt adapter (96 watts), since the 87 watt adapter is not even 82 watts for the computer?

I know it is a little long and complicated may be, but I would be glad if someone has information/knowledge about these could answer.

Many thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 4:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 9:15 AM

It looks like the USB-A port can provide 5V power to connected devices. I would not count on it providing more than the "typical" 500 milliAmps.

The USB-C PORT is a charge-only input. It accidentally has USB-2 data pathway, suitable for a keyboard, not Mass Storage.

About the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2020 9:15 AM in response to sinan194

It looks like the USB-A port can provide 5V power to connected devices. I would not count on it providing more than the "typical" 500 milliAmps.

The USB-C PORT is a charge-only input. It accidentally has USB-2 data pathway, suitable for a keyboard, not Mass Storage.

About the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple Support

Apr 28, 2020 9:06 AM in response to sinan194

sinan194 wrote:

1. Hello. everyone, I have a couple of questions regarding the use of the apple Multiport Adapter in combination with other devices. I hope someone has enough knowledge about it to answer. Many thanks in advance! Here it goes:

Is it safe and possible to connect another USB hub (powered) on the USB A port of the Multiport Adapter?
2. Is it safe and possible to connect another USB hub (not powered) on the USB A port of the Multiport Adapter?
3. When there is charger attached to the USB C port of the Multiport Adapter, and when there is load (another hub or device) on the USB A port of the Multiport Adapter, how is the power flow? I assume the charger attached to the USB C port is charging/powering the device attached on the USB A port, right? Or is it possible that it goes over the computer? (That does not make sense, right?)
4. This adapter charges the computer over the USB C port, but since the Multiport Adapter draws power as well, the wattage for an 87-watt-adapter becomes 82 watts. Assuming further load (another hub or device) on the USB A port of the adapter, shouldn't I use a higher watt adapter (96 watts), since the 87 watt adapter is not even 82 watts for the computer?

I know it is a little long and complicated may be, but I would be glad if someone has information/knowledge about these could answer.

Many thanks in advance.

There is no harm.

All you can do is try it— then report back you findings.

Your Mac will never overcharge.

If there is multiple power inputs it will choose the best suited for its purpose.

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook ...

Apple Multiport Adapter use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.