Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mute video call (FaceTime, FB Messenger, WhatsApp, etc...)

Hi, ever since I updated to iOS 13, I have not been able to fully lower the volume of my iPhone (Xr) when on a video call. This is really annoying specially if I need to quickly mute the other person to do something, or if the lowest allowable volume is not low enough and I don't want to disturb my roommates.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

Thanks a lot for the help!

PS: Please don't say to use headphones, that is beyond the point. I should be able to regulate the volume of my device.

iPhone XR

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 10:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 12:24 AM

Though the issue is not clear why you are unable to silence the volume.

There is something drastically wrong with your iPhone, have you got it repaired from any un-authorised repair shop? Take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact Apple Support, Apple Authorized Service Provider

Try the following options also...

Watch the GIF below

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2020 12:24 AM in response to jet2105

Though the issue is not clear why you are unable to silence the volume.

There is something drastically wrong with your iPhone, have you got it repaired from any un-authorised repair shop? Take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact Apple Support, Apple Authorized Service Provider

Try the following options also...

Watch the GIF below

Apr 28, 2020 5:20 AM in response to SravanKrA

Hi thank you for your reply.

The phone has not been taken to any repair shop. I had not had any issues with it since I bought it from Apple.

Regarding the GIF, the issue is persistence whether or not the phone is on silent mode.

I have restarted it multiple times and updated to the latest software but nothing changes.

Next steps that I can think of is making a factory reset and/or sending it to Apple for repair. However, it seems to me like it is a software problem because I can't fully lower the volume ONLY if I am on a call. For music, videos, etc... I can indeed lower it all the way. Hardware wouldn't have this kind of behaviour.

Jul 12, 2020 2:51 AM in response to jet2105

Bump. I have the exact same problem: I had this problem on my 5s with iOS 12, and now on my SE 2020 with iOS 13.

'Particularly frustrating in the time of coronavirus where I'm spending a lot of time on video calls with the frequent need to mute the call. As you say, the only solution I have at the moment is to use headphones as muting device (a very hacky solution!). This is an obvious problem when you want to do practical things like change from one head set to another (or, in modern iPhones, change to a dongle to use your head set and charge at the same time).

Mute video call (FaceTime, FB Messenger, WhatsApp, etc...)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.