Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Volume button not working during calls

Hello Everyone!

Do you guys facing an issue like, when you call to anyone and place the phone on your ear then try to volume up and down but the key’s doesn’t work during call? You have to unplace the phone from your ears to change then volume…

like, you can’t change volume when the screen is off because of proximity sensor… You have to take the phone far from your ears so that you can change the volume and place the phone again on your ears…

this problem is happening after iOS 16… It wasn’t there at iOS 15

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 4:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2022 6:49 AM

We have 4 iPhones in the house, and you can’t adjust the volume of any of them, with the iphone up to your ear during a call, since iOS 16. “Change with Buttons” in Settings and Sounds & Haptics does not fix this issue. Activating the proximity sensor, during a phone call, disables the volume buttons and they cannot currently be turned back on. All of this started with iOS 16, and it is a bug that needs fixed.

The problem is this: say you take a call from someone. While they’re talking, you can’t hear them so you try to adjust the volume up. The volume buttons will do nothing while it’s up to your ear (proximity sensor activated). So you have to hold the phone out in front of you, wake up the display, and then adjust the volume. Another example would be if they were too loud and, again, you can’t adjust the volume up at your ear.

This is absolutely a bug. Never had this issue since the first iPhone. Please Apple engineers, fix this asap.

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2022 6:49 AM in response to 98casper7

We have 4 iPhones in the house, and you can’t adjust the volume of any of them, with the iphone up to your ear during a call, since iOS 16. “Change with Buttons” in Settings and Sounds & Haptics does not fix this issue. Activating the proximity sensor, during a phone call, disables the volume buttons and they cannot currently be turned back on. All of this started with iOS 16, and it is a bug that needs fixed.

The problem is this: say you take a call from someone. While they’re talking, you can’t hear them so you try to adjust the volume up. The volume buttons will do nothing while it’s up to your ear (proximity sensor activated). So you have to hold the phone out in front of you, wake up the display, and then adjust the volume. Another example would be if they were too loud and, again, you can’t adjust the volume up at your ear.

This is absolutely a bug. Never had this issue since the first iPhone. Please Apple engineers, fix this asap.

Nov 12, 2022 12:24 PM in response to bbesspete

No, this issue is happening in every iPhone… I also checked in iPhone 14… You check this in your phone, then you’ll understand the issue…

Call your friend, and place the phone on your ear… Then press the volume key, you’ll fine the buttons doesn’t work… You have to take the phone far from your ears then the screen will light on then you can change the volume, else on ears THE PROXIMITY SENSOR IS ON, you can’t change the volume… It was good before iOS 16… After iOS 16 the feature vanished

Thank You for your concern

Jan 1, 2023 1:21 PM in response to 98casper7

still having this problem on iOS 16.2 on iPhone 11 Pro.

also the problem is experienced not only in phone calls (for those there’s the workaround of lowering the phone and adjusting the volume while the display is on) but also in messaging apps such as WhatsApp voice messages and telegram voice messages, and for those you can’t just lower the phone as it will pass from being controlled by call volume to media playback volume.

I can’t hear any voice message on those apps! This is a serious unresolved bug

Jan 2, 2023 6:12 AM in response to bbesspete

I have the same problem guys! I even spoke to one of Apple's guys over the phone regarding this issue a month ago. They said they do see complains regarding this and hope the next IOS update will solve this it. They suggested that I format my device and restore from my backup. I formatted my iPhone 13 pro last night and did not restore from my backup so in other words, started from scratch again. Thinking this might solve the issue. Still the same problem. My dad upgraded his iPhone 13 pro recently from IOS 15 to 16 and he also having the same problem now. This is a IOS 16 bug from Apple and they need to address this ASAP...! Please don't suggest any settings changes, like I'm an old lady with no tech experience.... I know my iPhone better than the guys at the iStore trying to sell their products... My old iPhone 6s Plus does't have this issue. Please keep us posted guys! You're the Pro's..

Nov 12, 2022 12:18 PM in response to 98casper7

Hey 98casper7,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you are unable to change the volume during calls using the buttons on your iPhone. We'd like to help.

Do you have the latest version of iOS 16 installed on your iPhone? This sounds like a simple step, but can often resolve issues like this: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Is "Change with Buttons" enabled or disabled in Settings > Sounds & Haptics?

Adjust the volume on iPhone - Apple Support

If Change with Buttons is enabled and your iPhone is up-to-date, we recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly: Contact - Official Apple Support

Take care.

Jan 20, 2023 7:55 AM in response to 98casper7

i have exactly the same problem on my iphone 13promax. also, i cant change the volume while listening to any! voicemail (imessage, whatsapp etc.) holding the device to my ear, which is totally annoying, especially on trains. i refuse listening to voicemails on loudspeaker. i went to the apple store in berlin, it took them 1.5 h to figure out the problem - the guy was decently friendly. in the end they told me that apple knows about this bug, but they cant to anything at the moment. a „phone“ which costs 1600€ which is not able to change the volume while on ear is simply not a phone. i would argue that, as long as this bug persists, these devices must be seen as defective. all that is nerve racking, disappointing and frustrating. i do hope they fix it soon. ios 16.3 is supposed to support homepod 2 bla bla and brings siri improvements. yeah - thats what we need. please give us our phones back!

Feb 21, 2023 3:11 PM in response to 98casper7

Yep. Me too. Super frustrating. Almost every call requires a volume adjustment based on what I was doing on my phone that day. To take it away from your ear while trying to hear the other person is bonkers! Often have to ask them to wait. And hope I only have to adjust it once. But never can I adjust it to the exact spot I’d like because it takes too many removals from my ear disrupting the conversation. Arghhhhh!!!!!

This never used to be an issue. Hence why we all know how to adjust the volume during a call. Past iOS have taught us to expect this functionality!

Volume button not working during calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.