Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting a table without include the Total row

Hi,

I have a table with a row on the bottom that is the total of all the items in the spreadsheet. How do I sort the rows and columns without including the "Total" row at the bottom?

Thanks

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 9:56 AM

3 replies

Apr 29, 2020 7:26 AM in response to anatheaw

This is pretty much the same problem being asked about in the thread Absolute or relative cell reference in source doc , though you wouldn't know it from the title. The solution for you may be a little simpler, though. Here is one possible solution:

• Insert a new column.
  • In that column, put a 1 in each row that has a value you want in the sum. Leave the other cells blank.
  • If your data is in column B and this new column is column C, the total formula will be =SUMIF(C,1,B)
  • Hide that extra column if you don't want to see it.

Alternatively, if you regularly change which items you are totaling or if you often include new items:

• Insert a new column.
  • In the header for that column put something like "Include in Total"
  • Format the column as checkboxes
  • Check the ones you want to include, leave the others unchecked
  • The total formula will be =SUMIF(C,TRUE,B)
  • Do not hide the new column

Apr 29, 2020 6:55 AM in response to Badunit

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have another question...

For my total column I only want to total certain cells.

I notice when I resort the column the cells that I selected to be part of the total have not moved with the sort and continue to calculate only the original cells that were designated and therefore improperly calculating my total.

So, how do assure that the cells I choose to be in my total migrate properly when I resort the table?

Sorting a table without include the Total row

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.