Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screen recording

What's the best way to capture video with audio off the screen with MacBook Pro, late 2013, 15-inch? I've used Quicktime but the audio is terrible. I'd love to hear a QT "trick" or a better app to use.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2020 6:55 PM

The most common third party software helper for recording system audio, is SoundFlower. Just google it and you will find several options. There is however an Apple recommended app. which is far better than SoundFlower and it is part of an application made available by Apple in the App. Store. The App. itself is called RecMaster and it is and advanced version of Quicktime Player, a default app. on all Macs. I use it in place of the default QT as it offers greater flexibility. It uses a sound capture device called 'Aunboxsoft Audio Device'. It can be downloaded as a separate app. https://www.recmaster.net/mac-audio-driver-install-guide RecMaster is a paid app. from about $9.99 but the Aunboxsoft Audio Capture Device is free.

I have tried several apps, in place of QT, and find RecMaster to be the best. Aunboxsoft can be used with the default Mac QT.

If you download it and have difficulties in getting it to work, just come back to this post and let me know.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2020 6:55 PM in response to Josh2000

The most common third party software helper for recording system audio, is SoundFlower. Just google it and you will find several options. There is however an Apple recommended app. which is far better than SoundFlower and it is part of an application made available by Apple in the App. Store. The App. itself is called RecMaster and it is and advanced version of Quicktime Player, a default app. on all Macs. I use it in place of the default QT as it offers greater flexibility. It uses a sound capture device called 'Aunboxsoft Audio Device'. It can be downloaded as a separate app. https://www.recmaster.net/mac-audio-driver-install-guide RecMaster is a paid app. from about $9.99 but the Aunboxsoft Audio Capture Device is free.

I have tried several apps, in place of QT, and find RecMaster to be the best. Aunboxsoft can be used with the default Mac QT.

If you download it and have difficulties in getting it to work, just come back to this post and let me know.

May 1, 2020 9:25 AM in response to Josh2000

A default QuickTime does not provide means for capturing the system audio, other than speaker to microphone.

• The are third party software components to aid in getting the system audio internally (Soundflower, BlackHole).
  • The are complete third party screen capture applications that also fill this gap (e.g. ScreenFlow, Camtasia, Capto).

May 1, 2020 7:11 AM in response to logic79

Yes. I used QT to do a screen recording of a video w stereo output. Viuals recorded OK but audio was much too imbalanced. Eventually i got a better result by plugging in earphones and holding them over the built in mic (which is hidden under the left speaker grill). With the earphones plugged in the speakers were cut off and i was able to direct the stereo audio out of the earphones toward the built in mic. Very lo-fi but better than not using earphones.

still - i was hoping for something better. Isn’t there an App for this?

screen recording

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.