Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to screen record (video PLUS audio) on a Mac Studio?

Anyone know how to do screen recordings (video PLUS audio) on a Mac Studio?

I made several attempts to get a definitive answer from Apple tech support. According to Apple's official response as of April 6, 2023, "it can't be done. There isn't any internal audio connection." So, a $6,000 computer, marketed to videographers and photographers, can't do a simple video recording that's available on the bottom of the line Apple computers... (Great investment...!)

Anyone know of a way to screen record? This of course means only third party s/w as QuickTime does not work, although there is no "error message" or warning that it can't record. (One tech support guy (April 6, 2023) told me "isn't designed to work in Ventura and we don't support it anymore"! It does in fact work, but can't record audio, because there is no "internal mic." (The second technician told me the first one didn't know what he was talking about..! Guess Apple's having a hard time retaining knowledgeable techs...)

So the above technician said, "you have to find some third party app" and of course, being Apple, wouldn't offer anything further...

So, any suggestions based on experience using the product with MacStudio? Thanks! (BTW, keep this in mind if you're thinking of shelling out big bucks for a Mac Studio and videography or photography is important to you.)

Mac Studio, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 6:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 5:23 AM

to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime you need additional software. i use the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options". 

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2023 5:23 AM in response to GMak

to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime you need additional software. i use the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options". 

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

Apr 8, 2023 10:31 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

Wow! Really detailed answer! Thank you SO much! I really appreciate it! (Screen shots and everything!!!). I will try this option. I like that it sounds like I don't have to monkey with any security-level settings, something that turned me off of Amoeba's software solution options as they required fiddling around with and adjusting kernel-level security settings... permanently. Not worth the effort and permanent risk to me.

I guess I still can't believe that a $6,000 computer, trumpeted as the bestest, fastest most super-duper computer in the world by Tim Cook, and marketed specifically to videographers, photographers and media development people, can't do a simple screen recording with QuickTime...!🤦‍♂️

Thanks again for all your info and details!!

Apr 8, 2023 11:04 AM in response to GMak

GMak wrote:

Wow! Really detailed answer! Thank you SO much! I really appreciate it! (Screen shots and everything!!!).

you're welcome. :)

I guess I still can't believe that a $6,000 computer, trumpeted as the bestest, fastest most super-duper computer in the world by Tim Cook, and marketed specifically to videographers, photographers and media development people, can't do a simple screen recording with QuickTime...!🤦‍♂️

we are not allowed to speculate on apple policies here in the forum so I cannot say why I think it is that way. but if my guess is right, then it is a VERY GOOD reason.

Apr 10, 2023 12:39 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

(Well, having been involved with MACs since the 512K and most models (including the very early laptops) since then, there have been quite a few "misses" and oversights for no particularly good reason... but that's neither here nor there...) Thanks to your detailed, illustrated, step by step instructions, I got it to work, thankyouverymuch...! I do hope there's an easy way to revert everything, like for Zoom sessions when I just want to plug in my USB mic, but I'll figure it out. Just wanted to say thanks again. This was the solution (- and one not requiring tinkering with kernel-level permissions 😱) I was hoping was out there!

How to screen record (video PLUS audio) on a Mac Studio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.