Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recording Quicktime screen capture with 'internal' audio?

Want to Quicktime record Zoom type meetings (Jitsi, MS Teams etc.) getting the 'internal' audio of the MacBook Pro. Many tutorials out there. I can get a good Quicktime video with sound recording ... if I'm recording the MacBookPro speakers through the MacBook Pro mic ... only then I'm picking up the processor noises (and room sounds) etc. etc.. Not good.

Some tutorials suggest a third-party software such as BlackHole. But I need to be able to set the MacBook for 'Built-in Audio'. In my 2019 MacBook Pro there is no such choice. Only 'MacBook Pro Speakers'. Is this actually the same thing now? 'Built-in Audio' same as 'MacBook Pro Speakers'? Or do I need to set something in my MacBook Pro 2019 to get the 'Built-in Audio' selection to show up?

All ears,

Ben

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 1:24 PM

to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime you need additional software. i use the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options". 

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

then, to be able to record the internal audio as well as your microphone, it's slightly different. you need to set up an “Aggregate Device”

to set up an aggregate device:

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select “Create Aggregate Device”

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Aggregate Device tab, select “BlackHole 2ch” AND “Built-in Microphone”.

then when you choose the recording options, select “Aggregate Device”.

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) choose “Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options".

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2021 1:24 PM in response to Ben Low

to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime you need additional software. i use the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options". 

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

then, to be able to record the internal audio as well as your microphone, it's slightly different. you need to set up an “Aggregate Device”

to set up an aggregate device:

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select “Create Aggregate Device”

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Aggregate Device tab, select “BlackHole 2ch” AND “Built-in Microphone”.

then when you choose the recording options, select “Aggregate Device”.

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) choose “Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options".

Aug 12, 2021 2:15 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

Hi Jeffreythefrog ...

I'm going to try every single thing you suggest when I get back to my computer. One thing that's confusing me: when I try to set the Audio Devices as you suggest, this is the choice that comes up (see attached). There is no 'Built-in Audio' setting on this MacBook Pro 2019. There is only 'MacBook Pro Speakers'. Are they the same thing?

Aug 12, 2021 2:18 PM in response to Ben Low

Ben Low wrote:

But I need to be able to set the MacBook for 'Built-in Audio'. In my 2019 MacBook Pro there is no such choice. Only 'MacBook Pro Speakers'. Is this actually the same thing now? 'Built-in Audio' same as 'MacBook Pro Speakers'? Or do I need to set something in my MacBook Pro 2019 to get the 'Built-in Audio' selection to show up?

sorry, i missed that part of your question. yes, on some machines you will see 'MacBook Pro Speakers' while on others you will see 'Built-in Audio'. not sure why the discrepancy, but yes, they are the same thing.

Recording Quicktime screen capture with 'internal' audio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.