Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Not Charging in MacBook Pro

I am using MacBook Pro , 2016 edition. Its been a great system overall.

In the last few days , its become very cumbersome to charge the battery of my system, every time I try it shows - "Battery not charging"

Steps to resolve already taken:

1. Battery health is "Normal"
  2. shut down and restarted the system and then plugging power after break of 1 min - sometimes helpful
  3. SMC reset done.

Checked my USB C , it responds to other devices.

Regards

Maroof Nawab

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 7:48 PM

Run the Apple Diagnostics.

Try unplugging the charger from the electrical outlet for a minute to reset the charger's internal circuitry.

Try using another USB-C port (especially on the other side of the laptop if you have a touchbar model).

Try using another USB-C Charging Cable and power adapter. Not all USB-C cables will charge the laptop.

Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting USB-C charging issues:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204652

If none of this helps then you will need to have Apple examine the laptop.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2020 7:48 PM in response to maroofnawab

Run the Apple Diagnostics.

Try unplugging the charger from the electrical outlet for a minute to reset the charger's internal circuitry.

Try using another USB-C port (especially on the other side of the laptop if you have a touchbar model).

Try using another USB-C Charging Cable and power adapter. Not all USB-C cables will charge the laptop.

Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting USB-C charging issues:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204652

If none of this helps then you will need to have Apple examine the laptop.

May 1, 2020 10:57 AM in response to maroofnawab

The only way to know is to try another power adapter and charging cable. You can also try it at another location in case your home electrical system has a problem causing this issue. If you test at another location, then you may still need to perform an SMC the first time you attempt to charge the laptop.

Needing to perform an SMC reset every time indicates that something is causing the Logic Board to have a problem. Whether this is due to a bad Logic Board or a charger/cable/home electrical issue can only be determined by the tests I just mentioned.

If an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider is open in your area, then have them examine the laptop. Take along your charger and charging cable as well.

Battery Not Charging in MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.