Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

g drive

I'm just received a new G Drive to replace my Time Capsule. Anything I should know before plugging it in?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 11:24 AM

Connect the G Drive directly to your Mac and power things up

On your Mac.....

Click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Click Open Time Machine Preferences

Click Add or Remove Disk

Click on the G Drive to highlight it

Click Use Disk

If Time Machine is operating correctly, it will automatically format the G Drive for you correctly and a backup should begin shortly.

If Time Machine cannot format the drive automatically, then you can do this manually. The article linked below should help with this.

https://osxdaily.com/2012/01/04/format-an-external-hard-drive-or-usb-flash-drive-for-mac-os-x/

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2020 11:24 AM in response to snuffysmith

Connect the G Drive directly to your Mac and power things up

On your Mac.....

Click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Click Open Time Machine Preferences

Click Add or Remove Disk

Click on the G Drive to highlight it

Click Use Disk

If Time Machine is operating correctly, it will automatically format the G Drive for you correctly and a backup should begin shortly.

If Time Machine cannot format the drive automatically, then you can do this manually. The article linked below should help with this.

https://osxdaily.com/2012/01/04/format-an-external-hard-drive-or-usb-flash-drive-for-mac-os-x/

g drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.