Clean and install Time Capsule

My Time Capsule no longer recognizes my MacBook. I would like to stay with TC even though it is discontinued. It worked flawlessly up till now. I used an old MacBook while my newer one was getting fixed with Apple dealer and think that's where the problem began.

Is it possible to do a Clean and Install with Time Capsule? Also, I am a techno-impaired senior. Please be gentle. (-;

MacBook Air, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 23, 2023 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2023 1:22 PM

Ethernet is generally about twice as fast as wireless in my experience....and....there are fewer things to go wrong over a wired connection than over wireless.

I would go for a wired connection for the first complete backup and then switch over to Wi-Fi for subsequent incremental backups.....since those "incremental" backups will be much smaller and will only normally take a few minutes.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2023 1:22 PM in response to Tom Perkins1

Ethernet is generally about twice as fast as wireless in my experience....and....there are fewer things to go wrong over a wired connection than over wireless.

I would go for a wired connection for the first complete backup and then switch over to Wi-Fi for subsequent incremental backups.....since those "incremental" backups will be much smaller and will only normally take a few minutes.

May 23, 2023 11:38 AM in response to Tom Perkins1

By "Clean", do you mean that you want to erase all the contents on the Time Capsule hard drive?

What Mac(s) will be backing up to the Time Capsule? The new Mac running Ventura or an older Mac running ? Or, both?

When the Time Capsule was working, it was connected to your modem/router using a wired Ethernet cable connection, correct?

Will you be using the Time Capsule Wi-Fi, or will you be using the Wi-Fi from your modem/router to back up the Mac(s)?

May 23, 2023 1:50 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Yes, I am hoping when I erase everything it will be like a reset and then I can reload from my MacBook M2. I want to use Time Capsule with my M2. Yes, I will be usiing the WiFi. What I really like about Time Capsule is the two-in-one feature of wireless and backup. I am running Ventura.

Thanks, Tim, you have answered so many of my questions in the past!

Oh, one more thing. If I do want to do a "clean and install", how can I do tha? Is it possible to do it without having to use my MacBook?

May 23, 2023 7:14 PM in response to Tom Perkins1

I am hoping when I erase everything it will be like a reset and then I can reload from my MacBook M2

Well, you could call it a "reset" since the hard drive will be erased. But, you won't be "reloading" anything from the MacBook M2, you will be backing up the MacBook M2 for the first time. Another way to think of this is that you will be starting all over again with new backups.

Sorry, but we still don't know how you will be connecting the Time Capsule to your network. We asked if you were planning to connect it to your modem/router using a wired Ethernet cable connection.

Can you let us know on that? We can't proceed without knowing how things will connect. Please remember that we cannot see your network or devices. Things that are obvious to you are totally unknown to us. The bottom line is that we really only know as much as you can tell us.

Oh, one more thing. If I do want to do a "clean and install", how can I do tha? Is it possible to do it without having to use my MacBook?

We will guide you through the process once we understand how the Time Capsule will be connecting to your network.

You will need to use a Mac to do everything that you want to do with the Time Capsule. It does not necessarily have to be a MacBook, it can be any Mac that is connected to your network.

Thanks, Tim, you have answered so many of my questions in the past!

Not a big deal, but my name is Bob.

May 25, 2023 10:45 AM in response to Bob Timmons

"Bob", sigh. I told you I was a senior...

First off, my apologies for taking so long! In a moment of insanity I have gone back to school to finish my master's. No more, "Pay the fee, get the B!"

I do get the idea of backing up the M2 for the first time. In the past, I have actually used my Time Machine (or capsule) via wifi to get it up. Would ethernet be faster and obviously I would have to get an accessory to sync it.

I will be more attentive now. By the way, what was your name again..." (-;

Clean and install Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.