Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot find disk for Time Machine setup

I bought a LaCie 2TB disk as an external drive for my Time Machine backup disc. Have done it numerous times on my other machine, but when I try to find a disc in the Time Machine window, all that is available is an 'other AirPort Time Capsule,' which I don't have. No way to search for an external drive or the like. What am I missing here?

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2022 5:08 PM

Please explain in more detail what you are attempting to do including the steps you have taken. If Finder will not find the External Hard Disk, then check the EHD's cabling, that it is turned on and that its power is also turned on. If Finder will not find it, open Disk Utility (Applications - Utilities - Disk Utility) and see if DU can find the External Hard Disk. If neither DU or Finder do not find the HD then the HD is either damaged or has a bad cable or is not getting power.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2022 5:08 PM in response to Keith Ballantyne

Please explain in more detail what you are attempting to do including the steps you have taken. If Finder will not find the External Hard Disk, then check the EHD's cabling, that it is turned on and that its power is also turned on. If Finder will not find it, open Disk Utility (Applications - Utilities - Disk Utility) and see if DU can find the External Hard Disk. If neither DU or Finder do not find the HD then the HD is either damaged or has a bad cable or is not getting power.

Cannot find disk for Time Machine setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.