Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a Time Capsule that I have hardwired to my MAC with Mojave on it, and I'm not able to see the disk. I can't install the airport utility 6.3.1 as it won't install.

I have my Time Capsule directly connected to my Macbook Pro with Mojave and it does not see the device as a hard drive. If I attach it to my network, I can see it. It has the wifi turned off. I can not install the Airport 6.3.1 as shows Mojave not supported. I want to back up the Time Capsule to a drive for offsite storage. My network is too slow was trying to use on either a PC with Windows 10 (not supported) or the Mac. I thought at least it would recognize the hard drive. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 4:09 PM

Whoa. Let's back up and go over things.

I can not install the Airport 6.3.1 as shows Mojave not supported.

Not sure why you trying to install a very old version of AirPort Utility 6.3.1 when you have the most up to date version already installed on your Mac running Mojave.

Even if you could install 6.3.1 on your Mac.....(you can't).....it would make no sense to install an older version of AiPort Utility when you already have an up to date version on your Mac.......probably AirPort Utility 6.3.9 if I remember correctly.

If I attach it to my network, I can see it. It has the wifi turned off

You don't need the WiFi on. Simply connect a USB hard drive to the USB port on the Time Capsule and use the Archive function in AirPort Utility to copy everything on the Time Capsule drive over to the USB drive formatted for Mac.

In the example above, everything on "Data" will be copied over to 500 GB Drive

was trying to use on either a PC with Windows 10 (not supported).

The Time Capsule uses SMB1 connections on a network. Microsoft removed SMB1 from Windows 10.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2020 4:09 PM in response to saraclark_t2

Whoa. Let's back up and go over things.

I can not install the Airport 6.3.1 as shows Mojave not supported.

Not sure why you trying to install a very old version of AirPort Utility 6.3.1 when you have the most up to date version already installed on your Mac running Mojave.

Even if you could install 6.3.1 on your Mac.....(you can't).....it would make no sense to install an older version of AiPort Utility when you already have an up to date version on your Mac.......probably AirPort Utility 6.3.9 if I remember correctly.

If I attach it to my network, I can see it. It has the wifi turned off

You don't need the WiFi on. Simply connect a USB hard drive to the USB port on the Time Capsule and use the Archive function in AirPort Utility to copy everything on the Time Capsule drive over to the USB drive formatted for Mac.

In the example above, everything on "Data" will be copied over to 500 GB Drive

was trying to use on either a PC with Windows 10 (not supported).

The Time Capsule uses SMB1 connections on a network. Microsoft removed SMB1 from Windows 10.

Aug 29, 2020 11:29 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi, Mr. Timmons,

Thank you! I obviously didn't realize the Airport Utility was here. Ignorance is bliss with enough knowledge to be dangerous. I see the time capsule now via the Ethernet port as i don't have a USB - USB connector in the house.

Thank you for your help.

maybe I should just put the TC in the safe deposit box, and abandon it as it is now. An antique.

Aug 29, 2020 2:00 PM in response to saraclark_t2

No harm in using in the Time Capsule as long as it is functioning OK, but it would not be a good idea to use the Time Capsule as your sole backup plan.

You indicated that you.......want to back up the Time Capsule to a drive for offsite storage.

To do this, you would connect a USB drive to the USB port on the Time Capsule, then use the Archive function in AirPort Utility to copy all of the data on the Time Capsule over to the USB drive. Then, you will have an exact copy of the Time Capsule data on the USB drive.

I have a Time Capsule that I have hardwired to my MAC with Mojave on it, and I'm not able to see the disk. I can't install the airport utility 6.3.1 as it won't install.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.