Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cursor is sticking to the top-left corner; CleanMyMacX might be the culprit.

My mouse pointer is stuck in the top-left corner of my screen. Every time I try to move the cursor, it does, then returns to the top-left corner like it’s bungeed to it.

At first I think, oh just a mouse problem. Let’s just get to the point where I eventually took all the batteries out of both my Bluetooth mice and moved them to another room. Problem still persisted.

After multiple restarts, safe mode reboots, VRAM resets, all different kinds of keyboard combinations upon boot-up, the problem wasn’t fixed.

Now, what I found strange was that my mouse worked fine on the lock screen, but as soon as I logged in, the cursor shot up to the top-left and bugged out. So I do some research and find out that CleanMyMacX is causing the problem. So I navigate my way through several folders and delete all instances of CleanMyMacX - all on my keyboard.

I went through a lot of folders, here are some I remember:

/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/Application Support

/Library/something about Scripts

/Library/Caches

/Library/Preferences

/Library/PreferencePanes

/Library/StartupItems

After this and more restarts, the problem still persists. Maybe it’s not CleanMyMacX? Maybe I did something wrong? Please help. I appreciate it in advance.

Mac 2019, Latest Version Catalina

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 6:48 PM

Non-Apple "cleaning" products are a reliable way to make a mess of things. If you have a Time Machine backup created prior to installing it, now is the time to use it. Otherwise, you must be prepared to completely erase that Mac and reconfigure it from the ground up.

Let's hope that last-ditch effort isn't necessary. For now please determine if the same sticky cursor persists in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. If you are able to control your Mac in "Safe Mode" take that opportunity to create a Time Machine backup while in that mode, because you're going to need it. To learn how to use Time Machine please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2020 6:48 PM in response to iGrantastic

Non-Apple "cleaning" products are a reliable way to make a mess of things. If you have a Time Machine backup created prior to installing it, now is the time to use it. Otherwise, you must be prepared to completely erase that Mac and reconfigure it from the ground up.

Let's hope that last-ditch effort isn't necessary. For now please determine if the same sticky cursor persists in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. If you are able to control your Mac in "Safe Mode" take that opportunity to create a Time Machine backup while in that mode, because you're going to need it. To learn how to use Time Machine please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac.

Cursor is sticking to the top-left corner; CleanMyMacX might be the culprit.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.