Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

More deletions discovered from the Logic Pro X update

More about the automatic update of Logic Pro X.

The update will be installed automatically, without your being aware of it.

In a previous post I described how all of your Templates will be deleted because of this update.

Another discovery I just made:

Every audio file, sample, midi file, instrument, and everything that was

in your ~users/yourname/Music/Logic folder has been deleted as well.

Since about 2009, Logic has been saving all of your Sampler Instruments, all audio

you've recorded within a Template, and your plugin settings into that folder.

You'll be delighted to find that that folder is now COMPLETELY EMPTIED OUT.

There's nothing in it at all.

Again:

ALL of your Templates, and all of the content you've created inside a Template,

all of your saved SamplerInstruments and plugin settings have been deleted by this update.

The update occurred without your advanced warning, and you wouldn't have assumed

to backup your Users folder because Logic's been saving those mentioned items

in there by default for 10 years.

This situation looks a lot like malicious activity or a 'negligent act', because it is.

You know what?...this would be a great little "shame on you" feature in the TV news, wouldn't it?

See ya. wouldn't want to be ya.

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 12:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 7:55 AM

The update deleted the folder that contains the Templates.

Know what? I appreciate that you're doing the "corporate-replies-to-cover-your-asses" thing.

You deleted 20 years of my work.

AUTOMATIC had nothing to do with it.

The APPLICATION had nothing to do with it.

Your update was designed by someone who neglected the fact that a SEPARATE FOLDER

would be 100% emptied out.

The tone of your replies is best-suited for Bill Gates' squeaky little voice, not Apple's

You screwed up. Happens.

Leave me alone.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2020 7:55 AM in response to Iaamusic

The update deleted the folder that contains the Templates.

Know what? I appreciate that you're doing the "corporate-replies-to-cover-your-asses" thing.

You deleted 20 years of my work.

AUTOMATIC had nothing to do with it.

The APPLICATION had nothing to do with it.

Your update was designed by someone who neglected the fact that a SEPARATE FOLDER

would be 100% emptied out.

The tone of your replies is best-suited for Bill Gates' squeaky little voice, not Apple's

You screwed up. Happens.

Leave me alone.

Apr 30, 2020 5:24 AM in response to phlange

"The update will be installed automatically, without your being aware of it."

Only if you have 'automatic updates' ticked. It is ticked by default. The first thing I ever did when Apple introduced this was to turn it off. Any pro user shuould turn this setting off. Then you decide which updates to install,

Apr 30, 2020 5:37 AM in response to octopi

Friend,

Even if I did manually initiate the Logic update, I'm pretty sure the installer wouldn't

warn me that "all of your Templates will be deleted".

Right or wrong?

"WARNING: all of your sampler instruments, channel settings, and templates are about to be completely

cleared out and replaced with a 100% empty folder"

Ever seen that ^ before in an Apple update? No you haven't. That's some Windows 95 type garbage right there.

The only recommendation I've ever seen in 20 years is from other parties: "it's a good idea to keep the older version of THE APP

in case the new version has issues".

What happened is here now prevents me from ever installing any Apple updates whatsoever.

Update Safari and all your bookmarks are gone? Numbers and all your data is gone?

Update Logic and all of your orchestration templates are gone.

You have no idea how upsetting and horrible it is to sit here knowing what this update did, automatic or not.

Like every other Apple user, I love the system and everything about how it does things, until today.

I can NEVER trust an Apple update again.

I'm marking this thread as "Helpful" and "This solved my question", because

the legal weed during coffee breaks has finally seeped into whoever did this.

Apr 30, 2020 6:34 AM in response to phlange

Oh, don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. Apple default the auto update to on and a lot of people get updated without realising it, wanting it, or getting a chance to backup templates, apps etc.

The reason that I always have this turned off is precisely because I don't trust the updates. I wait a looooong time and look at a lot of forums before updating anything. The latest version of Logic I use is 10.4.4 precisely because of stuff like you've reported here. Hopefully you documenting it here may save someone else.

Apr 30, 2020 8:15 AM in response to phlange

Application updates don't delete folders, unless you cleanly reinstall your OS.

Furthermore, none of us work at Apple, we're all just users, your paranoia and insults are starting to **** me off. Are you a Russian troll? No? Then stop insulting us, too.

I f you want to be left alone, don't post then.

You could have facked this up yourself, or your looked in the wrong place and everything is still there, or you didn't make a backup as everyone with more than twenty years experience with computing should know very, very well.

Or, and this is the "worst case" scenario, Logic moved your templates to this location:

Users/"Phlange"/Music/Audio Music Apps/Project Templates

I have lost files over the years, and that was almost always a consequence of having smoked too much (I'm Dutch, you know) - so I quit two years ago and haven't lost a single byte since - I also became a lot less an annoying "it is all THEIR fault" kinda guy - it is really lame to blame your own inadequacies on some safe "big entity".

If your templates are no longer on your disk, you probably deleted them yourself. Updates have never done that - you are the first I see with this complaint.

Apr 30, 2020 10:01 AM in response to phlange

OK, all of us here are users, like you. No one from Apple comes here.

No one here works for Apple.

You think you're complaining to Apple here, you're not. It's just a load of other users who try to help with other users issues.

Do you want any of us to try and help you find your templates? If not, then please complain to Apple.

You have totally mis-understood what this forum is for and who comes here. It is not Apple.

More deletions discovered from the Logic Pro X update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.