Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone SE 2020

new phone 2 days ago. battery drain on facetime at about 1% every 2 minutes. and heating up back side of phone quite a lot 1 - 1 video call. battery drain, Signal app video call at about 1-2% every 2minutes. and heating up on rear - but not as much as facetime 1 - 1 video call. normal phone call, warming up on rear after about 10-15 minutes 1 - 1 call. latest iOS 13.4.1

does anyone have any thoughts about this warming up and battery drain? thank you for reading and responding in advance - a very concerned drew. cheers.

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 3:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 2:45 AM

Have noticed exactly the same thing with mine, brand new iphone se 2020 - arrived 6 may...

It constantly drains out power at an alarming rate. And I only use the phone for a bit of imessage, mail .. few photos. And hardly any web surfing

I have been taking timing tests by doing screen shots - and here's the latest from:

last night fully charged at 00.42am - shows 99%

this morning at 08.50am (no use at all during the night, iCloud backup switch OFF) - 63%

I am likely to return the phone at this rate and seek a full refund

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2020 2:45 AM in response to drew_bridge

Have noticed exactly the same thing with mine, brand new iphone se 2020 - arrived 6 may...

It constantly drains out power at an alarming rate. And I only use the phone for a bit of imessage, mail .. few photos. And hardly any web surfing

I have been taking timing tests by doing screen shots - and here's the latest from:

last night fully charged at 00.42am - shows 99%

this morning at 08.50am (no use at all during the night, iCloud backup switch OFF) - 63%

I am likely to return the phone at this rate and seek a full refund

May 10, 2020 4:35 AM in response to musicspirit

apple has run tests on my phone a few days ago. the diagnostics have been forwarded on to the tech department. i dont know if they'll get back to me personally or a fix will come through in an update? The battery itself does not seem to have any issues according to them. but it drains rapidly just under normal use. my thoughts are this: they are using a woefully under-powered battery for this phone. its simply too small for the job, unless, of course its a system issue which is leading to quick battery drain, then maybe it can be fixed through an update? but there is Without Doubt - and Unequivocally a battery issue here. there is no doubt about that. if i were in an office environment having to use this phone constantly - i would have to have it charging CONSTANTLY throughout the day. the battery may not have a fault in of itself - but the fault here is that it is under-powered in some way. im coming from android - so this is a first for me with iPhone and i have to say i prefer iPhone to android now. im happy with the new OS. but the battery is a FAIL - whether it or the OS is the problem i dont know yet?

May 10, 2020 6:43 AM in response to drew_bridge

I am glad to read that you have gone a stage further and that the tech department at apple are on the case.

I agree with your assessment based on use so far: the battery is the same size as the iphone 8 ( but with different connectors so they are not compatible or interchangeable ..according to youtube videos dismantling both).

Also that if under lockdown minimal use, the battery is this weak then what happens when you are on google maps for a long journey or a day's work with heavy use?

I would say this - with all respect to the designers at Apple of this phone, I appreciate really the sentiment that you cram the buts of the state of art apple pro into a small budget version but where there is fundamentally a misconception is that people are prepared to put up with the 'endless charging who cares about the cost attitude' - which gives masses of new features and functionality which are really only gimmicks. Most phone developers believe this is the way to market success... keep adding additional functionality to make the user want the latest iteration. ( I keep getting prompts to upgrade iTunes or Numbers or Pages) when in fact there is minimal advantage to the changes that they make.

Much smarter would be to take a modern renewable sustainable philosophy and be proud of the fact that the basic functionality DOES NOT NEED TO CHANGE OR BE UPDATED .. software designers should consult widely on this and make it a feature to be proud of " Our software hasnt changed in 4 years - no need to change your workflow"

And then when they do have something really useful or ground breaking or original ( ie like in Voice Memos now being able to search voice memos by name - you didnt used to be able to do that) or to Zoom in on Photo Albums ( ie the feature where you can now see a whole year of thumbnails in iPhoto and Zoom in by touch) - these are really functionally useful features which they ought to offer FOR FREE ... because they are not costly to develop.

And this new image of Apple as a brand which is pioneering a new sustainable user loyalty based clientele is the key to their long term marketing strategy and sustainability .. because if you become a more trusted brand over a long time ( I have been using apple computer for over 20 years) you would buy more stuff they recommended because they understand the difference between what people really need and what unscrupulous businesses are trying to persuade them that they need.

And these times of the Covid threat are pointing to the very sustainability and survival of the whole world - we have the opportunity to break the chains of fossil fuel dependence, pollution, climate change habits...

This poor battery thing is fundamentally a design philosophy miscalculation - this is not just some sort of minor glitch that can be corrected by a software update correction download.

May 15, 2020 6:35 AM in response to musicspirit

ive been fiddling with the settings, regarding battery drain. ive been turning off Siri in apps. ive turned off Siri in general, then back on again. ive noticed though i can not prove - that by switching off Siri in apps, the battery drain is not so severe - though im not absolutely sure? essentially - with a lot of use, the battery of the SE 2020 is pretty much dead by the end of a 'normal' day's use.

ive heard nothing back from Apple regarding this issue - after they ran some tests on my new iPhone SE 2020. love the phone by the way. hope there's some kind of fix.

iphone SE 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.