Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal speaker is not showing in system preferences

internal speaker is not showing in system preferences

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2020 6:45 PM

I am having the same issue with Internal Speakers not being an available option in Sound preferences. Only Digital Out and my Apple TV are shown as options. I am running on a mid-2011 iMac running High Sierra (10.13.6). I tried resetting the SMC but that had no effect. Any help would be appreciated.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2020 6:45 PM in response to dialabrain

I am having the same issue with Internal Speakers not being an available option in Sound preferences. Only Digital Out and my Apple TV are shown as options. I am running on a mid-2011 iMac running High Sierra (10.13.6). I tried resetting the SMC but that had no effect. Any help would be appreciated.

Aug 21, 2020 6:40 PM in response to CheloniaMydas

I just found a discussion from 14 years ago which suggested inserting and wiggling an audio cable in and out of the jack a couple of times and that just worked for me! Given it was for an old G5 and I use an iMac it still worked.

"On most G5s, if anything is plugged into either the front headphone or the rear audio-out socket, the puny internal speaker is disabled - so you could try wiggling the jack in the socket to see if the cut-out switch is flaky." - Original Info I found from 14 years ago

Aug 23, 2020 6:50 AM in response to fujifilmxt2

I had same problem. The Internal speakers were NOT ON THE LIST of sound output devices in the Sound dialog.

No devices connected to any ports.

I (plugged in headphones, unplugged headphones) x 10.

I shutdown, waited a minute, restarted.

I then upgraded to the latest bug fix operating system approved by my business (10.15.6).

I shutdown, waited a minute, restarted.

I shutdown, waited a minute, restarted, a second time.

Finally got the speakers back

Aug 23, 2020 8:47 AM in response to macops

I did all kinds of things like you but more. Then I went to a certified Apple service company. They thought it was a damaged motherboard - and its no longer supported by Apple. Parts are hard to come by and it will cost too much. So, for the next couple weeks, I continued using it while I figured out what was the best plan. After some time, its now working again. Don't know why or if it will last.

Internal speaker is not showing in system preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.