Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

prevent photos from trying to load everytime I connect phone

I want to back up my phone but I don't want photos to try and open when I do , it just spins and spins and does not work. I think there is something wrong with the program but will wait til I get a new computer to deal with it. But would like to avoid the attempt by phone to upload photos automatically.

Is there a way to do that?

Thank you.

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2020 1:39 PM

Hello pkBrooklyn.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that when you connect your iPhone to your Mac that Photos open. You want to prevent this from happening when you get a new computer. I’m happy to help.

It’s possible that you may have selected the option to open Photos whenever you connect your iPhone. Please see the subsection titled “Tip” under the section titled “Import photos from a camera, iPhone, or iPad” here: Import photos from a camera or phone using Photos on Mac - Apple Support

I recommend restarting your Mac. Once your Mac has fully restarted, connect your iPhone to your Mac. Does the Photos app open? If so, are you able to de-select the option to always open when your phone is connected?

Are you able to back up your iPhone now? If not, what error are you receiving?

When you get your new computer, you have the option to not select for Photos to open every time you connect your device.

Let me know the results.

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2020 1:39 PM in response to pkBrooklyn

Hello pkBrooklyn.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that when you connect your iPhone to your Mac that Photos open. You want to prevent this from happening when you get a new computer. I’m happy to help.

It’s possible that you may have selected the option to open Photos whenever you connect your iPhone. Please see the subsection titled “Tip” under the section titled “Import photos from a camera, iPhone, or iPad” here: Import photos from a camera or phone using Photos on Mac - Apple Support

I recommend restarting your Mac. Once your Mac has fully restarted, connect your iPhone to your Mac. Does the Photos app open? If so, are you able to de-select the option to always open when your phone is connected?

Are you able to back up your iPhone now? If not, what error are you receiving?

When you get your new computer, you have the option to not select for Photos to open every time you connect your device.

Let me know the results.

Take care.

prevent photos from trying to load everytime I connect phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.