Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App running in background

Please forgive my naivety. I have an app (COVIDSafe an Australian tracking app to assist in tracing of contacts who at a date may present with Covid19).

The app asks that I keep the app running (with notifications and Bluetooth on). does this mean that I shouldn’t “swipe” the app up to make it disappear or if I do swipe it is it still “running in the background”. I have sought to clarify this locally but I have not been able to do that.

Thanks in anticipation.

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 8:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2020 4:57 PM

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. I have an iPhone 11 and the app uses Bluetooth to connect with nearby phones with the same app and stores who met with who at a range closer than 1.5 metres for 15 or greater. I normally force close all apps each day but will ensure this COVIDSafe app remains in the background.

Again many thanks

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2020 4:57 PM in response to c_luc9

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. I have an iPhone 11 and the app uses Bluetooth to connect with nearby phones with the same app and stores who met with who at a range closer than 1.5 metres for 15 or greater. I normally force close all apps each day but will ensure this COVIDSafe app remains in the background.

Again many thanks

May 1, 2020 4:26 PM in response to WRAtk

Hello WRAtk,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand from the information you provided that you want to know how to ensure an app stays running in the background; I'd like to help.

You didnt specifically mentioned which model of iPhone you have, however if you have an iPhone with Face ID, in order to get back to the home screen you have to swipe up. This keeps the app running in the background and is different from force closing an app:

How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

As long as you don't force close an app, as seen this article, the app will remain running on the iPhone while the iPhone is powered on.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

May 1, 2020 4:47 PM in response to WRAtk

As a general policy you should never swipe up an app in the App Switcher unless it is not working right. None of those apps are “running”; they are all suspended, and killing them by swiping up on them decreases your battery life and slows down your phone. See this discussion—>Do not close iPhone and iPad 'backgro… - Apple Community

May 1, 2020 5:09 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you for your responses. A clarification then, the app developers say that the app should be running with Bluetooth on, does that mean it should be visible on the screen not “suspended” in the background as you say or with the phone in sleep mode as in going blank after a minute or so as I have mine set. Sorry for all the questions but I have tried to get answers from the Australian Health Dept but they don’t go into specifics at all. Getting a bit confusing for me as I am definitely not a whizz at this

Cheers

App running in background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.