Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vertical text in Pages on iPad Pro

I found these instructions for producing vertical text in Pages. Only trouble is, I found no Vertical Text item as described in direction 3 below. Has anybody figured this one out yet?

The ruler and its tab stops always match the direction of a paragraph, so when you turn on vertical text, the ruler changes.

1. Tap in the corner of any page in the document (so nothing is selected), then tap .
  2. To make it easier to tap without accidentally selecting text or an object, zoom the page with two fingers, or tap the page thumbnail in Page Thumbnails view.
  3. Tap the Document tab, then turn on Vertical Text.
  4. As you type, each new line appears to the left of the one before it. Footnotes appear at the left side of the page.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 1, 2020 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2020 8:36 AM

PS The full instructions are at

https://support.apple.com/guide/pages-ipad/use-vertical-text-tanc8021e516/ipados

6 replies

May 5, 2020 6:51 AM in response to suzannefromkatsushika-ku

suzannefromkatsushika-ku wrote: I found these instructions for producing vertical text in Pages. Only trouble is, I found no Vertical Text item as described in direction 3 below. Has anybody figured this one out yet?

Did you set your Language to Japanese? You have to do that by tapping the icon with the 3 dots at the top right of the screen and going down to Language and Region. Then you get what is shown below. Let us know if it still does not work.

Vertical text in Pages on iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.